Ore identification please help

jdizzel07

I cant find any ores online similar to mine. Will somebody help me identify. #1 The grey looking ones look like silver. Very shiny. they also crumble when touched. #2 is what I believe to be gold and pyrite mixed. under magnification the gold color material is splattered like gold but has some crystals that have flat sides i assume that's pyrite. #3 looks like platinum or palladium I'm not sure. I will tell you what mine these came from after I get some responses. the mine is 140 years old I can say that much. Thanks for your reply's.

Attachments

• 20210219_185739.jpg
    20210219_185739.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 65
  • 20210219_185817.jpg
    20210219_185817.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 65
  • 20210219_144625.jpg
    20210219_144625.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 65

butcher

Staff member
Just my uneducated guess, it is hard to tell much from just seeing pictures, it looks like an iron rich ore, giving the rusty environmental oxidation on surface-exposed to the surface over time, the rock also may be loaded with pyrite one of the many types of iron ore.

a little study in rock type identification can help narrow down your search, hardness, luster, crystalization, acid tests, and so on can help you identify different rock types, many times these will also give clues to which metals or metallic-mineral salts or gangue materials the rock may possibly be composed of, and other such information as if it may contain arsenic, sulfur, or selenium or so on.

Assay's (there are several types and many times you may need more than one type, the assay can tell you much more, not only what values it may contain, but also give you information of processing and the dangers which will be involved, as well as possibly giving you clue to processing if needed, or at least enough information to find out how other mining operations in your area are processing the ore, are they crushing it for road gravel or mining it for gold...

Maysam

I cant find any ores online similar to mine. Will somebody help me identify. #1 The grey looking ones look like silver. Very shiny. they also crumble when touched. #2 is what I believe to be gold and pyrite mixed. under magnification the gold color material is splattered like gold but has some crystals that have flat sides i assume that's pyrite. #3 looks like platinum or palladium I'm not sure. I will tell you what mine these came from after I get some responses. the mine is 140 years old I can say that much. Thanks for your reply's.
Most of the time gold comes with pyrite, those shiny points are pyrite. If there's quartzs veins too, there must be gold in it. I suggest stannous chloride test as it's fast and reliable.

voidforged

Pic 1 looks like a bunch of mica, pics 2 and 3 are definitely pyrite or chalcopyrite, more likely the former since chalco tends to get colorful over time. I doubt theres any gold worth recovering in there but if you want to be sure crush some of it up, roast it to drive off sulphides and other volatiles, and either pan it out or do a fire assay.

orvi

Most of the time gold comes with pyrite, those shiny points are pyrite. If there's quartzs veins too, there must be gold in it. I suggest stannous chloride test as it's fast and reliable.
depends on geology and the location in the world. region of Carpathian mountains (europe), where i live, have numerous pyrite/quartz outcroppings, but no gold involved most of the times :) it is a good lead, gold like the sulfur, arsenic and antimony...however not every time :)

Maysam

What do you think about quartz and limonite porous basic ore? I've found these samples in a volcanic area near 3 faults.

Attachments

• ۲۰۲۱۱۲۰۶_۱۹۳۳۲۷.jpg
    ۲۰۲۱۱۲۰۶_۱۹۳۳۲۷.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20211121-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20211121-WA0010.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20211121-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20211121-WA0011.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts