Palladium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toward the middle of this thread there was a discussion about Palladium Plus rings. I was wondering if anybody had an update on what alloy they contained?

update: palladium wire from the hammond I processed, which was in pieces behind a market, was not pure pd, but instead pd coated steel cable. If that weren't a kick to the gonnads enough, found that those wires that I burned to get the cloth wrap from around the wire had had the pd coating vaporize with the cloth lmao...

Best method to get cloth off from the wire is use of a medium grain sand paper that you fold over and pull wire through, gently, to rip cloth via abrasive action.

OOOhhhhh well.... :roll:

jimdoc said:
Does anybody know what other metal is in the Palladium/Plus school rings? I remember in 1981 when I graduated they were popular, but
I forget what the catalog said about them. I was wondering if they are
alloyed with ruthenium or iridium? Or maybe just rhodium plated?
I have about ten of them, and if they are ten percent ruthenium, that
would add up to a substantial amount with the price where it is now.

I am curious if anybody has an answer to this old post, those 10 rings where sold years ago. And since they were sold with other items, I never figured out the yield of those rings.

I have some Palladium/Plus and Precium rings I am thinking of selling, and would like to know if, and how much better the Palladium/Plus rings are better than the Precium. I know the Precium are supposed to be 25% palladium, but does anybody know the palladium % of the Palladium/Plus?

I have 3 P/P rings 39.5g w/stones, and 4 Precium rings 62.8g w/stones.
Also 16 grams of palladium wire from Hammond organs, plus some other organ contacts that need to be processed. If anyone is interested I will take some pictures and post in the for sale section.

And (3) 1/4 oz Stillwater Palladium rounds in original package, but cut into singles. Those I would want $250 each, or I will just keep them.

Jim

I've asked around the industry and it is 90% palladium. The remaining alloy will be silver, nickel, cobalt, or ruthenium or any combination.

Sorry I wasn't able to get more information, but with the palladium markets on the rise it may be worth refining for you.

blk03001 said:
I've asked around the industry and it is 90% palladium. The remaining alloy will be silver, nickel, cobalt, or ruthenium or any combination.

Sorry I wasn't able to get more information, but with the palladium markets on the rise it may be worth refining for you.

Thanks. That seems to be close to what I remembered from the brochure when I graduated high school. It is strange that this brochure, or other factual information on that alloy isn't to be found on the internet.

Jim

I agree it is very strange you can't find anything online. I asked someone who used to do business with Balfour in the 80s and this was as close as we got. Items in 95% Pd are coming more into popularity now so maybe that will help unearth some info about this other alloy.

jimdoc said:
Here is a picture from an Ebay ad that shows the contacts and bussbars.
If you look on the tips of the contacts, and the top of the "bussbars" you can see the palladium wire.

I Hope this in the right spot, and order. I was just given a old Hammond organ, and read on here a year or so ago about the Pd wire and other PM's in these. After disassembling the keys and foot pedals I have got it down just as this photo shows and can easily see the Pd wire on the end of the copper pieces. Being my 1st organ I'm not sure how old it is, though from reading many posts on here I do know it's the old tube type and the printing on the papers tacked into the inside it looks to be from late 40's early 50's. On the info plate is the model # BC. The only thing that I'm not sure of is what the composition of the bars under the copper plates as shown in the photo. The ones I have are very shiny, not dull/dark like in the photo, and a rem magnet will pull to it but not a strong attraction. So my question is what is the composition of the long bars? Also why are the tubes from this organ and amp console so expensive? Do they contain PM's or just hard to find parts? Any info would be much appreciated.

safewaybestway said:
jimdoc said:
Here is a picture from an Ebay ad that shows the contacts and bussbars.
If you look on the tips of the contacts, and the top of the "bussbars" you can see the palladium wire.

I Hope this in the right spot, and order. I was just given a old Hammond organ, and read on here a year or so ago about the Pd wire and other PM's in these. After disassembling the keys and foot pedals I have got it down just as this photo shows and can easily see the Pd wire on the end of the copper pieces. Being my 1st organ I'm not sure how old it is, though from reading many posts on here I do know it's the old tube type and the printing on the papers tacked into the inside it looks to be from late 40's early 50's. On the info plate is the model # BC. The only thing that I'm not sure of is what the composition of the bars under the copper plates as shown in the photo. The ones I have are very shiny, not dull/dark like in the photo, and a rem magnet will pull to it but not a strong attraction. So my question is what is the composition of the long bars? Also why are the tubes from this organ and amp console so expensive? Do they contain PM's or just hard to find parts? Any info would be much appreciated.
I asked one of my audio technicians who has strips and rebuilds Hammond organ from the year dot.
He said the parts are like rocking horse do do and are mostly plated,the exception being some of the electrical contacts.
It may take a little time but they apparently fetch good money so I would not try to process unless they where beyond use..

I wouldn't scrap a thing on it until you check out the resale of the whole unit or working parts. Did you ask about the speakers (Leslie) that often were sold with Models B/C? Those are worth some serious money!

I've torn down a few Hammond organs and collected up the palladium but haven't processed any of it yet so I'm not able to speak to yields.

So did anyone ever have palladium plus class rings tested with the xrf gun yet to find out the composition of metals in the rings?

Hi everyone, this is my first post. What models of Hammond organs are probably worth using for recovery? What do you do with the wood? I know wood recyclers who sell to furniture makers, FYI. I think jet turbines have a PMG rich array of contacts, sensors, bus bars etc.

Welcome jphayesjr.
I belive all Hammond organs have Au or/and Pd. The most is in the bussbars, but also the contacts can be good.
I normally find about a gram of gold or palladium in the organs from the early 1970 to the middle 1980. I have not scrap elder organs than that.
Yamaha organs is also worth to have a search for Au or/and Pd.
The wood is normaly chipboard with phenyl glue from that time.
Henrik

So did anyone ever have palladium plus class rings tested with the xrf gun yet to find out the composition of metals in the rings?
hey Mikemsg,
I have been studying online (your post on cointalk was one of my reads) I am compiling a database for myself since I can find very little solid info. My buyer has an XRF but will not pay 80% until I gather at least 10 grams I think I have about 6g so far. The P+ he scanned today came out at just under 25% Someone else here said they sent in quite a few grams to a refiner and came out about 35% I guess the alloys are all over the map depending on the era?

Last edited:
While it's a great indicator for testing for palladium in solution, using it to for recovery will overwhelm you unless you're recovering only tiny amounts. Besides, it's a bitch to dissolve, so you waste a lot of time preparing the unneeded solution. The precipitant, which is canary yellow, is hugely voluminous. That's why it's such a good indicator. It's a lot better to use ammonium chloride and sodium chlorate. Fun to watch, too!

Got Hoke's book? He walks you through the process!

Harold

Harold had a few misspellings over his many years here. To my knowledge, however, he was never wrong about refining of gold.

He is still my hero.

Back