Partially plated pins won't disolve

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No rush my friend. They are actually still sitting there. Been finally processing my 6.16lbs. of fingers and other bits like sim cards and such. Looks like a good return. Still cleaning the gold and haven't been able to weigh it yet. I'm excited to weigh it!

Hello, everyone.

Just wondering if hdd pins have any obvious difference than others. (like other than cpu pins, cd/dvd rom pins ect?). I mean the base metal under and yield difference.

I depopulated 350 hard drive PCBs, removed the chips and wanna know which process i should follow for the pins. Or is it worth the trouble? (i mean hobby-wise. even a single gram of yield would make me happy. cost of procedure doesn't matter.)

Roughly half of them SATA, half of them IDE. (Hard disks from between 2000-2015. Mostly samsung, seagate, western digital and maxtor)

Thanks in advance for any kind of response,

Zuma.

Attachments

• 10-Pcs-Per-Lot-7-15-Pin-Right-Angle-SMT-Male-Reverse-Sata-Connector-For-2.jpg
    10-Pcs-Per-Lot-7-15-Pin-Right-Angle-SMT-Male-Reverse-Sata-Connector-For-2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 3
  • s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 3
Hello, everyone.

Just wondering if hdd pins have any obvious difference than others. (like other than cpu pins, cd/dvd rom pins ect?). I mean the base metal under and yield difference.

I depopulated 350 hard drive PCBs, removed the chips and wanna know which process i should follow for the pins. Or is it worth the trouble? (i mean hobby-wise. even a single gram of yield would make me happy. cost of procedure doesn't matter.)

Roughly half of them SATA, half of them IDE. (Hard disks from between 2000-2015. Mostly samsung, seagate, western digital and maxtor)

Thanks in advance for any kind of response,

Zuma.
I depopulated 350 hard drive PCBs, removed the chips and wanna know which process i should follow for the pins. You have my sympathy - I just finished <100 of them.

If you plan on continuing to work on partially plated pins and are experienced enough to work with sulphuric acid, building a sulphuric cell would be the way to go.

As far as any difference between the pins from other sources - everything will vary from device-to-device and manufacturer-to-manufacturer.

The hard science we deal with is at the chemistry level. Trying to guess what a manufacturer has done with their product to stay competitive isn't a hard science with predictable outcomes and would drive me crazier than I already am.

Wait! Maybe a test tube refine and comparison would be interesting. See what I mean when I say crazy.

Peace and health,
James

Thank you for your answer, James. I'm experienced enough to deal with sulphuric, but not eager enough to supply the instruments of sulphuric cell just for this batch.

And yeah, i think if we'd know the EXACT yield from the beginning, wouldn't be so interesting, no?:) So, i changed my mind, don't wanna know how much the yield gonna be. Just wanna find the best way to get the max amount of it except with sulphuric cell.

Cheers,
Zuma

Back