Pieces of Eight Coin

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazersteve

Staff member
All,

I'm curious if we have any coin collectors among us? If so I think they will enjoy this post.

I have an authentic piece of pirate money. You can see it here with the certificate of authenticity:

[img::]http://www.goldrecovery.us/images/piecesof8.jpg[/img]

It's a silver coin minted in Mexico in 1789.

Does anyone have any idea what a coin like this one is worth to a collector?

Steve

The easiest way is to check Ebay, especially finished auctions.
The books can give you a price idea, but not the cash.

I have lots of coin books, but I gave away my foriegn "bible",
the big fat book that lists every country, I wasn't really into foriegn.
I can look up any American coins for you. Most I can still recall
in my head, all the key dates.
I sold most of my collection to buy a '72 Cutlass convertible,
I had alot more fun with that than my coins, but that is gone now also.
But I got a '67 Cutlass L-66 car to restore now, just need the $$$ and
time to play with it.

Take it to a coin show. If the coin was from a famous shipwreck like the Attocha, it increases the value. I saw a 25 lbs silver bar from this wreck auction for over 55,000 dollars. Talk about getting the juices flowing!!
Chuck

Hey Steve, If interested in selling check shipwrecktreasures.com, They are in Fort Meyers. I might be interested. PM if you get a value from them. Thanks, Tim

if you could get a couple of close-up pictures and post them I have a coin book from last year for mexician coins I could look it up for you and tell you from poorest of poor conditions to mintest of mint conditions of what that coin would list for... I think that it would be worth more because it is from a pirate ship and has a story behind it.

I have collected World Crowns for many years. Doesn't make me an expert, but I'll give you my opinion. That particular coin could be from any number of Spanish colonial provinces ( i.e. Mexico, entire Central and South American countries,some Carribean, etc.). The origin is determined by a mint mark on the reverse. The obverse ( portrait) is VERY similar on all these coins. Unfortunately, these large silvers tend to wear easily, and the obverse appears(?) in VG-F condition. Laymen terms= average circulated.Common varieties ( Mexico, Bolivia, Peru) in this condition average ( according to my Krause catalog) around 50-75 dollars. Strikes from small countries can bring way more.Odds are, it is a common. They struck an incredible amount from the 3 common countries( huge silver deposites, slave labor, etc.). Great keep sake none the less. I hope this helps. Robert

One last note. These coins were circulated around the world, and were the basis of our monetary system. The actual percentage of these being " pirate booty" is very small. They were legal tender in the U.S. up until the 1850's.

shipwreck coins and such are some of the most faked coins. Not saying yours is fake, just that they are commonly faked.

Back