Platinium Iridium wire and Palladium Iridium wire

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I have some Platinum and Palladium wire alloyed with Iridium it is a Johnson Matthey wire anyone here have any experience in refining this? I would like to work with someone with this as my ability to refine this product goes beyond my limits, as the wire is mixed so I do not know whether I am better to melt it into an ingot and send it away. I have got terms from Johnsons but after reading some of the comments regarding there treatment of small customers I am not impressed. So I am shooting wild here. IMG_20220112_083719.jpg

You see the problem I have in selling it as is, is that I do not know the percentage of pd/ ir wire and pt/ ir wire. But from previous lots I have sent for refining where I got paid on the IR it it varied from 60/40 to 80/20 Pd/Pt and as you are well aware there is a huge difference in price. I was dealing with a small refiner in the past but I was not happy with the Ir pay out. As this is a 90/10 wire spec in both forms Pt and Pd from J&M, and I was informed by the company whom I process this material from. So when I give them a rebate on the material they think I am conning them out of the Ir. So practically for every kg of material there should be 100g of Ir. I have attached my own analyzer readings but it needs calibration so I only use it as a base reference. Also I have a similar material in a slightly different format with 24k Au leaf attachment but this is for another day as my priority is the wire at the moment. So any help even getting it melted into ingot form for accurate analysis would be a great help. The extra readings on the display are the % points of tolerance and my Thermo needs calibration but these are readings I just did now to show the content. IMG_20220112_114458.jpg be great. IMG_20220112_114744.jpg.

I see...to melt, this will be very hard...as melting point is high. To melt you may need acetylene torshe probably.
However, lets imagine your analysis is right (90/10). How far from spot price are you willing to sell?

There is a company I know in Birmingham who may be able to help, they are producers of such materials and refine material for resupply to their customers , if you can strike a deal with your suppliers to save them money and make yourself a better margin by saving on metal purchasing margins it’s a win win.

There is a company I know in Birmingham who may be able to help, they are producers of such materials and refine material for resupply to their customers , if you can strike a deal with your suppliers to save them money and make yourself a better margin by saving on metal purchasing margins it’s a win win.
Hi Nick,
I often send material to Birmingham for assay but since Brexit its a pain. If you want to pm me maybe we can have a chat.

Nick,

I would provide a quote on this. I'm in St. Paul, Minnestota. Let me know how much you have.
mowreygold.com

-Craig

Back