Platinum sponge from hydrazine sulfate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just bored!. :lol:

Yellow is quartz wool, orange is a quartz frit, vaccuum on left, H2 on right. Identical tubes with a gasket and clamp between flanges. A ceramic kiln (or adapted assay furnace for the heat on the right). Left chamber is a sublimate chamber for the solids that should get trapped between the two wool disks. Place silica boats full of Chloroplatinate salts on the right chamber. Fan blowing fresh air on the outside surface of the left chamber.:shock:

Attachments

• tubefurnaceV1001a.jpg
    tubefurnaceV1001a.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 236
Which method is the cheapest in reduction of ammonium chloroplatinate to platinum sponge?

Lou said:
Heat method is cheap , but the process is too slow and require about one hour to convert 1kg of platinum salt to sponge. The tungsten heat coin most often break down. Any advise how to overcome this problem?

It still takes a half hour to slurry the yellow salt in DI water, make it 2.0 M in NaOH, hook up exhaust system and gas purge and meter in hydrazine hydrate, now doesn't it?

Then you have to filter, rinse, and calcine anyways and all the liquids are hazardous waste (which probably doesn't matter where you're from :-/).

FYI, it takes longer than an hour to convert into sponge, at least properly with an industry-accepted melt loss/LOI that won't make you into a laughing stock.

Sounds to me like you're complaining to complain.

You don't need tungsten heating elements. In fact, all you need is a quartz tube, a boat lined with magnesia/magnesium silicate, a percolating scrubber/cold finger for the ammonium chloride/HCl off gas and a tube furnace with plain old NiCr (Kanthal). You only want to go to 1000*C and hold there for 5-8 h.
Hydrogen is purely optional on Pt, although I find that you have less Pt volatilize that way and much less corrosive off gas.

Any more with platinum salts, I'm of the opinion that if people have to ask, they probably shouldn't be doing it. Which means less typing for me! Hooray.

Yes . Lou , using hydrazine hydrate reducing platinum salt to sponge cost me more , reducing 5 kg of platinum salt cost me about 70 $ not including others chemical . It need to filter and the gas emitted was too bad and also the waste harzardous water too . I have difficult technique in using quartz tube as i am a beginner refiner .

You're reducing 160 ounces of platinum and you're worried about 70 dollars?

If you're so cheap, spend the big bucks and get an autoclave and reduce it with hydrogen. That's the cleanest way.

thanks to lou and 4 metals and other members from forum for teaching me and give me a lot of advices on refining PGM and gold.

The moderators would like to thank all of the members that contributed to the original thread upon which this thread was based, as well as those that asked questions showing what was missing. Because of the extra length and interest in this thread we have created the above consolidated version making for an easier read. We encourage all members to read, comment, and ask questions in the original thread, Platinum sponge from Hydrazine sulfate

The Library threads should not be considered to constitute a complete education. Instead, they're more like reading a single book on the subject of recovery and refining. There is so much more information on the forum, and it is impossible to include it all in these condensed threads. Members are strongly encouraged to read the rest of the forum to round out their education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back