Please Advise.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everybody Merry Christmas. I am new at Gold reclining and I've been attempting gold extraction from a variety of different electronic components fingers, chips etc. I unfortunately I added everything all together in an AP solution and have been unable to recover the gold flakes because they seem to be suspended and some sort of fibrous copper and who knows what other metal substance I'm unable to filter without collecting everything in that fibrous mess. I'm attempting now to heat the solution in hopes of it dissolving everything. My question is do I have a chance at recovering the gold or is it a loss. Your help is much appreciated thank you

Merry Christmas.
So you created the mess before you found us 😏
The good thing is that gold is never lost, unless you throw it away.

The bad thing here is:
You have not given us enough information to help you.
Next we encourage everyone to study Hokes book and search the forum.
Strangely enough information you discover yourself tends to stick better.

So please tell us.
How did you treat your stuff before it became a mess in detail.
What is it besides fingers?
AP do not damage PCBs so what did you do to it.

As much information as you can remember.

Then we can assess how to approach your mess.
It may not make economical sense to do much, we really do not know.

Regards Per-Ove

I will advise to filter/decant the solution from solids (if all base metals are eaten away). Test the solution with stannous to assure there is no gold. Then you could dissolve the gold with AR, and if the content of the liquid is large you could cement it on zinc.

But without giving more information, it would be just guessing.
Stay safe and wear PPE.

Merry Christmas.
So you created the mess before you found us 😏
The good thing is that gold is never lost, unless you throw it away.

The bad thing here is:
You have not given us enough information to help you.
Next we encourage everyone to study Hokes book and search the forum.
Strangely enough information you discover yourself tends to stick better.

So please tell us.
How did you treat your stuff before it became a mess in detail.
What is it besides fingers?
AP do not damage PCBs so what did you do to it.

As much information as you can remember.

Then we can assess how to approach your mess.
It may not make economical sense to do much, we really do not know.

Regards Per-Ove
Thank you so much for your quick response. I have had a large assortment of e-waste that contain gold and I processed it by removing as much of the plastic as possible however I fear I left too much solder behind and it all has been in a muriatic acid and hydrogen peroxide solution specifically 3% hydrogen peroxide and 31.45% hydrochloric acid. The solution has turned very dark yellowish green color and my original solution has the gold particles mixed in with very fine gray material on the bottom with a clear yellow solution above it. I should have mentioned that there are two separate containers. When I originally filtered the solution that is suspended in that fibrous mess it would melt back into what I could only presume is copper or a copper alloy.

16404766799135167745035049794221.jpg16404767405975993759283987302020.jpg

Ok, I believe you have CopperChloride on the bottom.
Easy to find out.
Add a touch more Hydrochloric acid and start bubbling air through it.
This should create what we call AP which in fact is a Copper2chloride leach.
It should get deep emerald green.
Then filter out all solids and dissolve after own wish in AR HCl/peroxide or other method and then filter and wash. Remaining liquid contains your gold. Precipitate wash and rerefine to high purity.

But a few questions.
Are you doing this inside, that is plain madness, even in you garage. It will destroy all metal parts, like rails nails and bolts besides from the toxic gases.
And get some proper glassware, this will break.
How much material is this, just the two bottles?
So destroying your house/garage and possibly health for 5$ of gold is not good economy.

Do study dealing with waste and the safety sections before you continue.
Put a lid on what you have and store it outside until you have.
The gold will still be there.

From what I can tell by the pictures, on the left the solution is concentrated with CuCl cuprous chloride, the salts are CuCl chloride, lead chloride, any gold as metal or powers, and any silver chloride if involved with the other trash, the tin, if involved, would make filtering troublesome.

Adding HCl and some air will dissolve the insoluble copper salts would dissolve back into solution making it green and ready to dissolve more copper, leaving you salts with any gold, or silver chloride, as well as any lead chloride, washing the salts in hot water, will remove the lead chloride (which will deposit again on cooling the wash solution), then gold can be dissolved away from any silver chloride if this batch has any...

On the right, you have a very very dilute solution of copper ions, with possible other toxic metal ions involved, looks like wash water.

Put a lid on what you have and store it outside until you have.
Please ensure that any lid you place on you solution is not airtight. Acids when reducing metals generate gases that can build up pressure and rupture your vessel. Even a tiny hole in the lid will help to equalize the pressure created. No need to create an acid bomb unintentionally not to mention the loss of your values.

Elemental

Please ensure that any lid you place on you solution is not airtight. Acids when reducing metals generate gases that can build up pressure and rupture your vessel. Even a tiny hole in the lid will help to equalize the pressure created. No need to create an acid bomb unintentionally not to mention the loss of your values.

Elemental
Sorry, I did not say because it is natural in my world.
But listen to Elemental.

I would like to thank all of you for your expertise and knowledge in this field and the willingness to share it with me. I truly am grateful. I wanted to let you all know that I have, for the time being, put loose-fitting lids on the solutions and will deal with them when the weather gets a bit warmer. I am no longer utilizing my garage as a viable workspace. Thank you so much for your warnings.
I plan to get back to all of you in the spring after some studying this winter. I wish all of you a Happy New Year and all the best.

Back