Please Help me!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karaboga

Hello everyone, this is my first time mining gold but i don't know what to do anymore. I had watched the video of Sreetips with hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide but when I mixed hydrochloric acid and bleach I did not have the same reaction and I have a little black powder at the bottom of my jar (and the colour became green ). do I filter it and mix it with sodium metabisulphite? or start the process again. Thank you for your help

Hello everyone, this is my first time mining gold but i don't know what to do anymore. I had watched the video of Sreetips with hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide but when I mixed hydrochloric acid and bleach I did not have the same reaction and I have a little black powder at the bottom of my jar (and the colour became green ). do I filter it and mix it with sodium metabisulphite? or start the process again. Thank you for your help
Welcome to us, and frankly stop what you are doing NOW.

You have no Idea what you are doing and may end up injuring yourself and others.
Pack your chemicals in a safe place and start studying.
This is NOT mining.
Hydrogen Peroxide and Bleach are two different Chemicals.
What was your starting material?

Anyway here is something for your studies.

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Forum rules : https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/board-policy-this-should-be-read-by-everyone.4646/

You have no Idea what you are doing and may end up injuring yourself and others.
This is NOT mining.

1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.

Forum rules : https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/board-policy-this-should-be-read-by-everyone.4646/
Ok thx for replying

This is NOT mining.

I am in France so nitric acid is not allowed so i've watched the videos of Sreetips who in first he mixed hydrochloric acid with hydrogen peroxyde (i do the same) after that he filtered the solution and put in a new beacher add some hydrochloric acid (250 mL) and bleach(12mL) after that he filtered again and put sodium metabisulfite until saturation and gold take powder form after that he filtered and melted.
But in the first i poured too much peroxyde hydrogene so black powder formed and after that i've filtered it and in a new beacher i put some hydrochloric acid and bleach (like in the video) but the colour turned to green and i have like black powder.

I am in France so nitric acid is not allowed so i've watched the videos of Sreetips who in first he mixed hydrochloric acid with hydrogen peroxyde (i do the same) after that he filtered the solution and put in a new beacher add some hydrochloric acid (250 mL) and bleach(12mL) after that he filtered again and put sodium metabisulfite until saturation and gold take powder form after that he filtered and melted.
But in the first i poured too much peroxyde hydrogene so black powder formed and after that i've filtered it and in a new beacher i put some hydrochloric acid and bleach (like in the video) but the colour turned to green and i have like black powder.
When you have studied these links and read the book, you can present your plan and we can help you adjust it if necessary.
This is the safest path to success and to maintain safety for you and those around you.

Where have you been doing it so far?
I hope not inside, since the chemicals we use will destroy all Iron based products near the place you use the chemicals.
Nitric and Hydrochloric acid are the worst in this matter.

What did you start with? E waste, karat Gold or what?
Bleach and HCl will dissolve some Gold, as will HCl and strong Peroxide.
The use of Bleach needs to be controlled more since the Bleach will neutralize the HCl if you use too much.
You need to add very little at the time and add often.
I prefer to use solid Chlorine for swimming pools, much better than Bleach.

Do you have a link to this video?

What did you start with? E waste, karat Gold or what?
Bleach and HCl will dissolve some Gold, as will HCl and strong Peroxide.
The use of Bleach needs to be controlled more since the Bleach will neutralize the HCl if you use too much.
You need to add very little at the time and add often.
I prefer to use solid Chlorine for swimming pools, much better than Bleach.
Yes it's E waste. I take the pin like usb, hdmi,gold plated little stuf and some part of hard disk for my first time. i use 25% hcl and 3% peroxide. I think i used too much bleach but i've waited 20-25min before adding more bleach and I stirr very often every 2-3 min . but it not dissolve like i seen in the video.

First of all, you do not need Peroxide for the first part, air bubbler and HCl will be enough.
It can take a day or two weeks depending on temperature.
For part two, after the Foils are cleaned and ready, just cover them with HCl and add Bleach/Pool Chlorine/ Peroxide and it will dissolve some Gold.
As I said I prefer strong Peroxide 20-30% or pool Chlorine since I do not risk the Bleach Neutralizing my acid.
Bleach need to be store Cold and will decompose rapidly even at room temperature, so there is an expiry date on them.
Where did you get your SMB?
You need about one gram per gram of Gold.
The acid need to still be sufficient acidic to release the SO2 that drops the Gold.
pH of 2-4 should do it.
Edit to get language correct.

Last edited:
First of all, you do not need Peroxide for the first part, Air bubbler and HCl will be enough.
For part two, after the Foils are cleaned and ready, just cover them with HCl and add Bleach/Pool Chlorine/ Peroxide and ity will dissolve some Gold.
As I said I prefer strong Peroxide 20-30% or pool Chlorine since I do not risk Old Bleach or Neutralizing my acid.
Bleach need to be store Cold and will decompose rapidly even at room temperature, so there is an expiry date on them.
The acid need to still be sufficient acidic to release the SO2 that drops the Gold.
pH of 2-4 should do it.
i buy it on amazon
Thank you very much for your reply . i will try again tomorrow.

First of all, you do not need Peroxide for the first part, Air bubbler and HCl will be enough.
For part two, after the Foils are cleaned and ready, just cover them with HCl and add Bleach/Pool Chlorine/ Peroxide and ity will dissolve some Gold.
As I said I prefer strong Peroxide 20-30% or pool Chlorine since I do not risk Old Bleach or Neutralizing my acid.
pH of 2-4 should do it.
so if i heat the processus will be faster?

i buy it on amazon
Thank you very much for your reply . i will try again tomorrow.
As I said in the first post.
Put everything aside and start studying.
It is not safe to continue before you understand what you are doing.
For the the Cupric Chloride leach (AP), to a certain degree but do not heat it directly.
Just let the background temperature fix that.

But after you have studied.

As I said in the first post.
Put everything aside and start studying.
It is not safe to continue before you understand what you are doing.
For the the Cupric Chloride leach (AP), to a certain degree but do not heat it directly.
Just let the background temperature fix that.

But after you have studied.
i have a last quastion, in the first place i take my gold plated pins and mixed with hydrochloric acid and way too much hydrogene peroxyde, after that a black powder fomed. I filtered it and when i process it with hydrochloric acid and bleach the black powder was still here. Have i lost the gold or it has a way to extract it?

i have a last quastion, in the first place i take my gold plated pins and mixed with hydrochloric acid and way too much hydrogene peroxyde, after that a black powder fomed. I filtered it and when i process it with hydrochloric acid and bleach the black powder was still here. Have i lost the gold or it has a way to extract it?
You do not loose Gold unless you throw it away.
My guess is that your Bleach is bad.

HCl + H2O2 is a refining process, not meant for pins and pcb's. The base metals will cement out any dissolved pm's.
AP or Cu2Cl leach is needed before that step. Or some other process.

Do as Yggdrasil said. It can save your life.
Start reading Hoke's book.

Martijn.

The hydrogen peroxide and hydrochloric acid with a bubbler will dissolve base metals, and release gold foils, and is how gold is recovered from circuit boards. However it is not normally used for processing electroplated items like metal pins because it takes too long to completely digest them, and only for a miniscule amount of gold p!ating. So people prefer to use another method like reverse electroplating or possibly iodine treatment ( I hear)...

Using bleach as a "poor man's" Aqua Regia is a completely separate process. It is the refining part that involves using smb to drop the gold, which can be a dark black color or more desirable brown or tan color. If it is black one simply refines it again to remove more impurities. That black powder you got is probably your gold. It will need more refining.

Sreetips is a very good person to follow, but keep in mind he has probably more tools and resources than you at this point and consequently his processes often appear easier and more straightforward than they will be for you. So don't panic, be safe, study hard and keep trying. It will eventually make more sense to you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back