please help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kole55

greeting. I have a question, has anyone tried processing gold foil cards. I have two sets of 108 cards with a certificate that they are coated with gold foil. I put one in HCl and added bleach, there is no reaction. The certificate is that it is 99.9 pure gold foil. Is there any yield of any and how to process. thanks for any comment and answer.

greeting. I have a question, has anyone tried processing gold foil cards. I have two sets of 108 cards with a certificate that they are coated with gold foil. I put one in HCl and added bleach, there is no reaction. The certificate is that it is 99.9 pure gold foil. Is there any yield of any and how to process. thanks for any comment and answer.
I'm a little puzzled here:
You have been here since 2014 and have still not found out that you never process whole cards?

Another thing is that depending on how you use the HCl/bleach leach it may not work at all.
This due to at least two factors, the bleach may be to old and as such decomposed beyond usefulness
or you add too much bleach and neutralize the HCl.
Do you have some pictures and a better description of the cards?

There is enough gold on cards that after removing it and recovering it, you will need a microscope to see the results. Remove the paper first, (ashing is an example here) then try HCl/Cl. The paper will adsorb most if not all the tiny amount of gold on them.

This is assuming cards such as baseball, football cards, etc.

There is enough gold on cards that after removing it and recovering it, you will need a microscope to see the results. Remove the paper first, (ashing is an example here) then try HCl/Cl. The paper will adsorb most if not all the tiny amount of gold on them.

This is assuming cards such as baseball, football cards, etc.
Oops, I assumed it was some kind of electronic card.
Then, if it do not contain other metals, the best would be to ash them properly and then dissolve the ashed residue in HCl/bleach or HCl/Peroxide.

Oops, I assumed it was some kind of electronic card.
Then, if it do not contain other metals, the best would be to ash them properly and then dissolve the ashed residue in HCl/bleach or HCl/Peroxide.
It is a bit unclear but I assumed baseball type cards based on the comment of the “certificate”.
My results for this type was pretty low, best to sell them as is to a collector or investor.

I'm a little puzzled here:
You have been here since 2014 and have still not found out that you never process whole cards?

Another thing is that depending on how you use the HCl/bleach leach it may not work at all.
This due to at least two factors, the bleach may be to old and as such decomposed beyond usefulness
or you add too much bleach and neutralize the HCl.
Do you have some pictures and a better description of the cards?
greetings. first of all, thanks for your comment. I have never encountered gold foil cards before. I know the hcl and bleach process well. I only work with it. I don't work with hno3. here are some pictures of the pins. the acid peroxide method then hcl and bleach. let me clarify a little , I work in the field for a month, during that time the pins are in AP, when I come on vacation for a couple of days, I filter, collect foils and then hcl and bleach. It's just my hobby, I have my main job. Don't be confused, this amount of gold I collected in a year in that way. Otherwise, I paid the jeweler for the assessment and it is clean 24 k. If you have any further explanation regarding the card, I would be happy to hear it, because I know nothing about them. Thank you

Attachments

• 20230510_214256.jpg
    20230510_214256.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230510_214248.jpg
    20230510_214248.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230305_122556.jpg
    20230305_122556.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230224_190448.jpg
    20230224_190448.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230305_122038.jpg
    20230305_122038.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
greetings. first of all, thanks for your comment. I have never encountered gold foil cards before. I know the hcl and bleach process well. I only work with it. I don't work with hno3. here are some pictures of the pins. the acid peroxide method then hcl and bleach. let me clarify a little , I work in the field for a month, during that time the pins are in AP, when I come on vacation for a couple of days, I filter, collect foils and then hcl and bleach. It's just my hobby, I have my main job. Don't be confused, this amount of gold I collected in a year in that way. Otherwise, I paid the jeweler for the assessment and it is clean 24 k. If you have any further explanation regarding the card, I would be happy to hear it, because I know nothing about them. Thank you
I do not know anything about them.
But for this kind I would believe incineration is necessary so the pregnant liquid do not get caught in the cards, and it will also remove any protective coating.

I do not know anything about them.
But for this kind I would believe incineration is necessary so the pregnant liquid do not get caught in the cards, and it will also remove any protective coating.
thank you. I just soaked the card with the certificate in hcl and bleach, so as not to destroy the set of cards.

thank you. I just soaked the card with the certificate in hcl and bleach, so as not to destroy the set of cards.
If you are going to remove the Gold they are worthless, so in order not to loose any of the minute amounts of Gold
in there you have to burn them completely to ash.

I would like to add something else, I know it's not the same topic, but maybe it will help someone. melting gold dust into a button was always a problem for me because I had to go to others and ask them to do it for me. and now I found a way to melt it with ordinary butane gas gold. I managed to make a button up to ten grams without any problems. The point is that you wind a tungsten wire on the top of the torch and drop it 1.5 centimeters outside so that the flame that comes out heats the wire which gives additional temperature. It works great, I used to do that I found it on YouTube. I found the wire from old electric stoves. I don't know how google translate translated this. I hope it's understandable.

Not sure if you have the same cards, but maybe there's some info in this video.

By the way...Iodine is toxic in high level's.

Not sure if you have the same cards, but maybe there's some info in this video.

By the way...Iodine is toxic in high level's.

excellent. thank you very much. the cards are the same with the same number on the certificate. now I know it's not gold and that's why there was no reaction when I put it in hcl and bleach.

I would like to add something else, I know it's not the same topic, but maybe it will help someone. melting gold dust into a button was always a problem for me because I had to go to others and ask them to do it for me. and now I found a way to melt it with ordinary butane gas gold. I managed to make a button up to ten grams without any problems. The point is that you wind a tungsten wire on the top of the torch and drop it 1.5 centimeters outside so that the flame that comes out heats the wire which gives additional temperature. It works great, I used to do that I found it on YouTube. I found the wire from old electric stoves. I don't know how google translate translated this. I hope it's understandable.
Hello,

May I request you to kindly share a youtube video link for this butane process that you have mentioned?

There's quite a few themes in which these cards been made, I will guess there's a good bunch of them fake too. If I remember correctly they should be made of plastic which eases the job a lot. No idea of general gold content.

Hello,

May I request you to kindly share a youtube video link for this butane process that you have mentioned?

greeting. I couldn't answer you sooner, I can't find the link, I found it a long time ago. Here are some pictures so you can see what it looks like. You simply wind the wire and push it approximately 1.5 cm forward and that wire gives additional temperature. I melted 10 grams without any problems. they completely melted it. I found the wire in old small table ovens, I don't know how Google will translate this. They are old heaters, ceramic is strung like a pearl necklace on that wire. I think it's a tungsten wire. I hope I helped .

Attachments

• 20230530_175825.jpg
    20230530_175825.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230530_175918.jpg
    20230530_175918.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230530_180001.jpg
    20230530_180001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230530_180405.jpg
    20230530_180405.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230530_180428.jpg
    20230530_180428.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Nichrome is more likely to be used in electric heaters. Tungsten will burn up in time.
Worth a try.
I'll test it in a propane oven and measure if it increases the temperature.
greetings. I don't know what kind of wire it is, I said I think it's tungsten, I only know that I found it in old heaters. It's been working great for me for a long time, it hasn't burned yet, and I make a button up to 10 grams, the kit melts it like with oxy torches. for larger quantities, there is not enough heat to penetrate deep, because I tried to melt the button above in the picture of 50 grams and it can't just melt it on the surface. but up to ten grams, only butane gas works perfectly. I think the point is in those 1.5 cm. It is made according to the soldering iron system, I mean the old soldering irons. I apologize again if google translate translated something wrong, but everything is in the picture and it is very simple and works great.

greeting. I couldn't answer you sooner, I can't find the link, I found it a long time ago. Here are some pictures so you can see what it looks like. You simply wind the wire and push it approximately 1.5 cm forward and that wire gives additional temperature. I melted 10 grams without any problems. they completely melted it. I found the wire in old small table ovens, I don't know how Google will translate this. They are old heaters, ceramic is strung like a pearl necklace on that wire. I think it's a tungsten wire. I hope I helped .
Of course it does, visual always helps. Thanks!

Back