Poor mans Nitric and Silver

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey geo,
I was hoping you could tell me what I need to do with the gold filled solution that contains the silver. Well I'm assuming it does. How do I successfully recover the silver from about 100 grams of g.f. I've watched your video many times.
Add some solid copper metal after you have tested the solution and determined that it does indeed contain silver. Through a process called ionic exchange, the copper will go into solution and the silver will come out of solution as metallic silver. It will need to be rinsed well and then melted.

The silver recovery is secondary to the gold. As long as distilled water is used and no other chlorine or chloride is added, there will be no silver chloride. Silver nitrate in solution is clear with no color. If the solution has a color (blue) it is copper and doesn't effect the process. There will never be silver sulfate form using the amounts of chemicals used in my video. Silver sulfate will only form if the solution is allowed to dry completely. The amount of water used will not allow silver sulfate to form. To test for silver in solution, dissolve some sodium chloride (table salt) in water. Isolate a small sample of the solution and add a little salt water. If silver is in solution, white silver chloride will form. If no silver chloride forms in this test, decant to waste and start over with fresh chemicals. If silver is present, it will dissolve but only after all of the other base metals dissolves first. Silver will be the last metal to dissolve in poor man's nitric acid out of gold filled material.
I knew he could explain better than me. (y)

Back