Possible Alternative to panning incinerated chips

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old thompson

Hi all, I been doing a bit of placer gold panning lately though in the past I have panned chips after pyrolysis as taught by Patnor1011 member of this forum.

Anyways, they got different ways to stratify materials of various density when prospecting and I don't know if this would work with chips but I think if i placed an air stone in the bottom of a narrow canister and filed the tube with chip ashes, fill with water, then turn on the air stone, the denser gold and gold plated parts would work their way to the bottom of the canister towards the air stone. The trick part of the trick would be removing the bottom layer from the canister.

I don't have any scrap memory chips to work with, but when I have acquired a batch I will experiment and report back. It might take a bit of time and a lot of screwing around to get it going, but I think it might work.

For gold panning dirt, some guys are using a pump to push water out of the top of a container while adding more material and letting lighter matterial flush out. It would probably be real tricky to tune in the flow volume and velocity for bonding wires which are usually much finer than placer gold, but it might work.

Any way that you can push out the "fluff" from chip ashes is a good idea. As you know if you panned both IC ashes and native gold from a placer deposit, the chip wires are much smaller and, therefore, act "lighter" than a placer fine flake.

I think your idea has merit and I am looking forward to hearing about your test results.

Peace and health,
James

I played with about the same idea a few years ago and it has merit. I don't get enough IC's to try it anymore so it kind of got put on the back burner. Keeping the water volume vs. water pressure in tune seemed to be the key for my experiments. While the gold in IC's is very small, the ash residue, when incinerated correctly, is extremely light. I to would like to see how yours come out, good luck.

Back