Problem dropping metals / gold from Aqua Regia with SMB

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I meant Urea
Worse, it do not fully decompose the Nitric compounds, and...
Urea can create explosive compounds when in contact with Nitrates.
Use Urea for what it is, a fertilizer.
For deNOxing you use Sulfamic acid in a hot solution.

But do what I told you, set your stuff away in a safe place and study the book and the sections I recommended.

Have you studied the forum at all...?
You have been doing everything wrong, so what have you been doing since you became a member?

Drop youtube completely (its a potential killer in this respect) and if you absolutely NEED to use Youtube, watch Sreetips, Owltech, and a couple other members, they make good and safe videos.

But do what I told you, set your stuff away in a safe place and study the book and the sections I recommended.

You have been doing everything wrong, so what have you been doing since you became a member?

Drop youtube completely (its a potential killer in this respect) and if you absolutely NEED to use Youtube, watch Sreetips, Owltech, and a couple other members, they make good and safe videos.
I haven't been too active
On the group
Thanks for the motivation

Followed the advice é and kept all aside
Ordered 20l nitric acid 20hcl and some sulphamic acid will start a new journey with sulphamic acid.

I am having some issues with my precipitation of gold.
I had about 1kg of IC chips which i ashed and used nitric to remove the base metals.
Then I filtered the nitric solution in another beaker and washed the chips with water so as to remove the excess nitric.
Later I added AR after the reaction died down i added smb for gold drop.
But now my solution is looking like this photo attached.
Can anyone explain me what the problem might be.
Thankyou in advance

Attachments

• IMG-20231227-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20231227-WA0000.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
I am having some issues with my precipitation of gold.
I had about 1kg of IC chips which i ashed and used nitric to remove the base metals.
Then I filtered the nitric solution in another beaker and washed the chips with water so as to remove the excess nitric.
Later I added AR after the reaction died down i added smb for gold drop.
But now my solution is looking like this photo attached.
Can anyone explain me what the problem might be.
Thankyou in advance
Welcome to us.
This is a standard case of too little studies. And selection of non ideas processing.
Chips should not be processed with wet chemistry, it creates way too much waste.
Next you probably used premixead AR which is also wrong.
So now you have way too much Nitric, Nitrates and NOx in your mix.
You need to destroyed the Nitric with something, preferably not Urea.

But start studying first.

Welcome to us.
This is a standard case of too little studies. And selection of non ideas processing.
Chips should not be processed with wet chemistry, it creates way too much waste.
Next you probably used premixead AR which is also wrong.
So now you have way too much Nitric, Nitrates and NOx in your mix.
You need to destroyed the Nitric with something, preferably not Urea.

But start studying first.
Did you test for Gold with Stannous?

hi does anyone have a link for the book to study, i have been following street tips and followed his directions for gold filled, i ended up with 20 grams of foils which i cleaned and thed disolved in ar, filtered and all disolved my solution was dark greenish , added the SBR but it just fizzes and dissapears leaving me with no gold at all ??
any ideas,
thanks
roy

disolved in ar, filtered and all disolved my solution was dark greenish , added the SBR but it just fizzes and dissapears leaving me with no gold at all ??

You did not mention de-NOxing your solution. If you still have free nitric in solution the SMB will drop the gold and the free nitric will re-dissolve any gold that was dropped. It will also generate the red fume as the metal is digested.

I think your solution still contains free nitric acid and that is your problem.

You did not mention de-NOxing your solution. If you still have free nitric in solution the SMB will drop the gold and the free nitric will re-dissolve any gold that was dropped. It will also generate the red fume as the metal is digested.

I think your solution still contains free nitric acid and that is your problem.
so what is the best was to denox my soulution ??
thanks
roy

how much sulfamic should i use ??
dilut with h20 or just add crystals to solution ??
thanks
Heat it to 90 Centigrade and add the Sulfamic slowly while stirring.
Do not have it more than 1/3 full it will foam. Stop adding when there is no more foaming.

Them I would cement it on Copper and refine it again.
I think that most people think of cementing out their gold with copper as something that you only want to do as a last resort.

The reality is that it is very efficient, makes very nice looking gold powder, easily uses up the excess nitric and your going to need to refine it a second time.

Obviously using the proper amount of nitric acid when using aqua regia is 100% the best way to do it but there's sometimes those situations when gold is the only metal, or no platinum group metals, in solution or even if you run out of smb, but I don't mind cementing my gold with copper on the first refine because of how well it works.
I constantly stannous test for pgms and gold in my aqua regia so I always know what metals are dissolved and know if it is alright to cement with copper.

Back