problems dropping gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sail4too2003

I dissolved gold in ar and got carried away. I started with 900ml ar and kept adding till it quit reacting, (I didn't have to use any urea) added 2oz of sodium metabisulfite and got very little mud. its still dark. This was mostly gold on ss, and gold is about 60% gold. not sure what the 40% is. I'm new at this and sure I did something stupid lol.

I dissolved gold in ar and got carried away. I started with 900ml ar and kept adding till it quit reacting, (I didn't have to use any urea) added 2oz of sodium metabisulfite and got very little mud. its still dark. This was mostly gold on ss, and gold is about 60% gold. not sure what the 40% is. I'm new at this and sure I did something stupid lol.

Does ss mean stainless steel or does it mean sterling silver? In either case, AR should not have been used. Whether it stopped working because it either ran out of HCl or HNO3 depends on the ratio of HCl/HNO3 you started with and other variables. Thus, had it run out of HCl, you may have needed urea. Don't understand the 60/40 thing. Make yourself clearer.

To make myself clear This was stainless steel with gold solder and used one part 70% nitric and 3 parts 32% muratic and this was gold solder on the stainless.

This may be tung in cheek, since I have no experience with what you guys are discussing, but could you metal out the solder/braze with a torch seperating the parts (keeping any solder that drips out) and grind off the gold containing solder/braze to process seperately? then sell the clean SS and purify or sell the solder/braze.

Jim

The aqua regia will dissolve the stainless preferentially over the gold. Therefore, unless you dissolved essentially everything, the gold didn't dissolve to any great extent.

Before continuing, what type parts are those?

Latest posts

Back