processed ceramic cpu

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To put in in perspective - I would mix "at least" 3 cups of sand mixed with every 1 cup sludge but not more then 5 cups sand with every cup sludge

Kurt

kurtak said:
Rcsrcs said:
but I am still trying to find out what would be the best way to deal with this sludge which I believe it’s tungsten.it definitely have a lot of gold trapped in there . I would appreciate any advise .

Thank you

You need a filter aid/media such as silica filter sand

:arrow: https://www.bing.com/search?q=silica+sand+filter&FORM=SBRS02

The sludge is so "ultra" fine that it is like clay which is next to impossible (if not impossible) to filter & therefore yes will trap AR (& therefore trap gold)

Because the sludge if like clay - water (or your solution) will not flow through it in order to wash out all the solution (due to the "ultra" fine nature of the sludge particle size)

Therefore you need to "increase" the particle size of what you are trying to filter

Therefore - if you mix LOTS of sand (the more the better) with the sludge the "ultra" fine particles of the sludge will be more distributed through out the larger particles of the sand allowing the water/solution to flow through the sand so that the AR can wash out

So - put sand in a bucket - put the sludge on top of the sand - pour water in the bucket - mix until the sludge is WELL mixed in with the sand

Put filter paper in bottom of your filter funnel - put a piece of fiberglass insulation (about 1 to 2 inches thick on top the filer paper --- pour the water/sand/sludge into the filter funnel --- wash water through all of that until you know longer get a positive stannous test

You are now going to have a VERY dilute solution so will likely want to evaporate back down to a more concentrated solution to (better) precipitate your gold from

Edit to add; - do NOT use regular sand - there is to much "ultra fine dirt" in it - get the "clean" filter sand

Kurt

Great idea with adding sand Kurt. I certainly have had a few times where that would have helped me. Learn something new everyday :)

I would mix 3 parts water, 1 part sludge. Mix it thoroughly and let it settle. Decant the water above the sludge and test it. Soluble salts mixes well in water and 3/4 of any gold chloride would end up in the clear section.
The test tells you how much gold you leave in the sludge.

Do it again and you extract 3/4 of the remaining 1/4 of the gold, leaving 1/16 of the original gold in the sludge. Repeat until extracted gold isn't worth it longer.

You will end up with a lot of solution so cementation on copper or evaporation before precipitation can be good ways to get the gold.

Another alternative for hard filtered sludges is a wick filter.

Göran

Thank you for all your inputs .

I have extracted about 34g of gold so far , I still have a lot more gold trapped in the sludge + the crushed cpu as I didn’t filter them , I am getting busier at work , I can’t find the time to do this anymore and I know there is a a lot more gold in there , if I can’t do it therefor I would let someone else benefit from this I will just give it away for free to somebody have the tools and time to do it , anyone in Dallas area pm me !

Back