Pyrolyzed material help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is simple to incinerate pyrolyzed material. Take the material out of the metal bucket and place it in another container. Put holes in the side of the bucket from bottom to top in multiple places around the bucket. Add some charcoal bbq briquettes and then add some of the material. Add charcoal lighter as you would a grill. Light it and wait for the charcoal to ignite. Add material and charcoal in amounts that will keep it burning.
After pyrolyzing there is mostly carbon left. When the carbon is heated in the presence of oxygen in the air during incineration, the carbon will oxidize into CO2 leaving a fine white powder of mostly silica behind. Wash out all the light ash and see if it needs to be dried and ran through again.

Try to find a company for service on fire extinguisher in your area and ask them for an empty larger extinguisher (steel can, not aluminium).
Than look out for a construction site and try to get a piece of steel rod (1-2 inches thick) like those they put in concrete. Now you've got a large mortar and pestle. ;-)
good luck!

voidforged

I usually first sieve off all the powdered material, put that aside for separating in a sluce box (home made for concentrating the stuff), the remained bigger solids are cathegorized into 3 separate cathegory....burned enough for crushing, half burned and unburned... the last two are going back for incineration until completely burned for crushing. For crushing I use an industrial blender for IC chips and meat grinder(motorized with reductor) for boards and other unknown solids. It works for me. After completely grinded all the stuff goes for sluce box. After that the acid treatment.

I try to separate everything mechanically.

I hope it helps

Be safe.

Pete.
Goldman et al,

Many thanks for your ongoing words of wisdom in this and other threads. After a couple of years of study (Hoke and others linked here) and practice at a lab scale, in an equipped industrial lab with hood within an eWaste facility, I’m ramping up to pilot plant processing of around 100 lbs/day of boards. This is yielding about 5 lbs of chips, which are then pyrolyzed at 800C. The residual material is then placed into a cement mixer with 20 steel balls of 1” and ground up to perhaps 30 mesh. I can go finer or coarser.

This is where I’d appreciate specific advice.
Should this material be heated again?
Is it ready for gold cube separation?
Should it all be treated with HCl, washed, Nitric, washed, then AR?
Is the gold found in the connecting wires as well as on the Si dies? Does the gold “stick” to any magnetic or non-ferrous material, or does it mostly get separated out in the cube or blue bowl?

Many thanks,
Leonardo

On that scale, it might be worth looking into a hydrocarbon recovery pyrolysis system (the metal doesn’t care) maybe with a steam generator for heat recapture, and converting your fume hood to a couple of dedicated scrubbers (see library)

Back