Question about stannic acid.. I think.. The blue goo mixed in with my foils.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xydoman

Hi again grf. Quick question. I spent some time this morning reading thru the forum and studying up on stannic acid.. One thing I read was that it is insoluble in hcl.. And again, elsewhere it was mentioned that it is insoluble In AR. If this is the case, wouldn't it be pretty simple just to whip up some AR and go ahead and dissolve the gold that is mixed in with the tin paste? It seems I should be able to filter the AuCl while the paste stays behind.. Am I missing something?

A few things.

First, if you've already created it, AR might not penetrate sufficiently to dissolve all the entrapped gold.

Second, any tin that does go into solution can combine with your gold to form a colloid (Purple of Cassius) that will try to steal your gold.

Finally, you'll find it is a royal pain in the butt to filter. It will clog your filter and can make filtering a difficult process. Again, it can trap dissolved gold in the paste that will be nearly impossible to rinse out.

Tin is readily soluble in HCl. If possible, it is best to eliminate tin before introducing nitric.

Dave

Back