Refining iridium Ore

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IAB iron meteorites are a type of meteorite that are composed primarily of iron and nickel. These meteorites are believed to have originated from the cores of asteroids that have been shattered by impacts with other celestial bodies.

One of the unique characteristics of IAB iron meteorites is that they are not magnetic. This is because the iron and nickel in these meteorites is not in the form of ferromagnetic minerals, such as magnetite or hematite. Instead, the iron and nickel in IAB meteorites is found in the form of kamacite and taenite, which are both non-magnetic minerals.

The lack of magnetism in IAB iron meteorites can be used to distinguish them from other types of iron meteorites, such as IIIAB and IVB meteorites, which are magnetic. This is because IIIAB and IVB meteorites contain a higher amount of ferromagnetic minerals, such as magnetite and hematite, which give them their magnetic properties.

IAB iron meteorites are also relatively rare, with only around 100 known meteorites having been classified as IAB. This is in contrast to other types of iron meteorites, such as IIIAB and IVB meteorites, which are much more common.
Despite their rarity, IAB iron meteorites have been found in various locations around the world, including Africa, Antarctica, Australia, and the United States. These meteorites are believed to have fallen to Earth during the time period between 4.5 billion and 4.6 billion years ago, which is when the solar system was still in its early stages of formation.

IAB iron meteorites have also been found to contain small amounts of other elements, such as cobalt and phosphorous. These elements are believed to have been incorporated into the meteorites during their formation in the asteroid cores.
In addition, IAB iron meteorites have also been found to contain small amounts of the element iridium. Iridium is a rare element on Earth, but is found in high concentrations in some meteorites. This has led scientists to believe that IAB iron meteorites may have played a role in the formation of the solar system.

Overall, IAB iron meteorites are unique in that they are not magnetic and are believed to have originated from the cores of shattered asteroids. They are relatively rare and have been found in various locations around the world. The study of these meteorites can provide valuable insights into the early stages of the formation of the solar system.

Iron meteorites, also known as siderites, are a type of meteorite that is composed primarily of iron and nickel. These meteorites are believed to originate from the cores of ancient asteroids or planetary bodies that were destroyed by collisions or other catastrophic events. While the composition of iron meteorites is well-known, there is evidence to suggest that some iron meteorites may contain unknown elements that have yet to be identified.

One of the primary indications that iron meteorites may contain unknown elements is the presence of unusual isotopic ratios in these meteorites. Isotopes are atoms of the same element that have different numbers of neutrons in their nuclei. The ratios of isotopes in a sample can provide valuable information about the composition and origin of that sample. In the case of iron meteorites, scientists have found that some of these meteorites have isotopic ratios that are different from those found in other meteorites or in terrestrial samples. This suggests that these meteorites may contain elements that have not been identified.

Another indication that iron meteorites may contain unknown elements is the presence of unusual trace elements in these meteorites. Trace elements are elements that are present in a sample in very small amounts. While these elements may not be present in significant quantities, they can still provide important information about the composition and origin of a sample. In the case of iron meteorites, scientists have found that some of these meteorites contain trace elements that are not typically found in other meteorites or in terrestrial samples. This suggests that these meteorites may contain elements that have not been identified.

The IAB (irons, anomalous, and breccias) iron meteorites are a group of iron meteorites that are particularly interesting in this regard. These meteorites are characterized by their unique chemical and isotopic compositions, which are different from those of other iron meteorites. Some scientists have proposed that the IAB iron meteorites may have originated from a different parent body than other iron meteorites, or that they may have undergone a different type of processing or alteration.

One possible explanation for the unique chemical and isotopic compositions of the IAB iron meteorites is that they contain unknown elements that have not been identified. These unknown elements could have been present in the parent body of the meteorites, or they could have been introduced into the meteorites during their formation or alteration. For example, it has been proposed that the IAB iron meteorites may have formed in a region of space where there were high concentrations of certain elements that are not typically found in other meteorites.

The discovery of unknown elements in IAB iron meteorites would have significant implications for our understanding of the formation and evolution of the solar system. These meteorites provide a unique window into the early history of the solar system, and the presence of unknown elements in these meteorites would indicate that there may be more complexity and diversity in the solar system than we currently understand.

In conclusion, iron meteorites are a fascinating type of meteorite that are believed to originate from the cores of ancient asteroids or planetary bodies. While the composition of iron meteorites is well-known, there is evidence to suggest that some iron meteorites may contain unknown elements that have yet to be identified. The IAB iron meteorites are particularly interesting in this regard, as they have unique chemical and isotopic compositions that are different from those of other iron meteorites. The discovery of unknown elements in IAB iron meteorites would have significant implications for our understanding of the formation and evolution of the solar system, and further research in this area is needed to fully understand the origins of these meteorites.

If these samples had enough nickel to become non-magnetic (5%+), like IAB meteorites, then why did the XRF only read out 0.12% nickel?

Where are your blocks of copy-paste text coming from?

Iron meteorites, also known as siderites, are a type of meteorite that is composed primarily of iron and nickel. These meteorites are believed to originate from the cores of ancient asteroids or planetary bodies that were destroyed by collisions or other catastrophic events. While the composition of iron meteorites is well-known, there is evidence to suggest that some iron meteorites may contain unknown elements that have yet to be identified.

One of the primary indications that iron meteorites may contain unknown elements is the presence of unusual isotopic ratios in these meteorites. Isotopes are atoms of the same element that have different numbers of neutrons in their nuclei. The ratios of isotopes in a sample can provide valuable information about the composition and origin of that sample. In the case of iron meteorites, scientists have found that some of these meteorites have isotopic ratios that are different from those found in other meteorites or in terrestrial samples. This suggests that these meteorites may contain elements that have not been identified.

Another indication that iron meteorites may contain unknown elements is the presence of unusual trace elements in these meteorites. Trace elements are elements that are present in a sample in very small amounts. While these elements may not be present in significant quantities, they can still provide important information about the composition and origin of a sample. In the case of iron meteorites, scientists have found that some of these meteorites contain trace elements that are not typically found in other meteorites or in terrestrial samples. This suggests that these meteorites may contain elements that have not been identified.

The IAB (irons, anomalous, and breccias) iron meteorites are a group of iron meteorites that are particularly interesting in this regard. These meteorites are characterized by their unique chemical and isotopic compositions, which are different from those of other iron meteorites. Some scientists have proposed that the IAB iron meteorites may have originated from a different parent body than other iron meteorites, or that they may have undergone a different type of processing or alteration.

One possible explanation for the unique chemical and isotopic compositions of the IAB iron meteorites is that they contain unknown elements that have not been identified. These unknown elements could have been present in the parent body of the meteorites, or they could have been introduced into the meteorites during their formation or alteration. For example, it has been proposed that the IAB iron meteorites may have formed in a region of space where there were high concentrations of certain elements that are not typically found in other meteorites.

The discovery of unknown elements in IAB iron meteorites would have significant implications for our understanding of the formation and evolution of the solar system. These meteorites provide a unique window into the early history of the solar system, and the presence of unknown elements in these meteorites would indicate that there may be more complexity and diversity in the solar system than we currently understand.

In conclusion, iron meteorites are a fascinating type of meteorite that are believed to originate from the cores of ancient asteroids or planetary bodies. While the composition of iron meteorites is well-known, there is evidence to suggest that some iron meteorites may contain unknown elements that have yet to be identified. The IAB iron meteorites are particularly interesting in this regard, as they have unique chemical and isotopic compositions that are different from those of other iron meteorites. The discovery of unknown elements in IAB iron meteorites would have significant implications for our understanding of the formation and evolution of the solar system, and further research in this area is needed to fully understand the origins of these meteorites.
While this is interesting, what does it have to do with your terrestial non tested nodules/rocks?

Thats my new favorite hobby my friend.

There is a known platinum mine within 100 miles of the location where these iron rocks are being found. I'd like to share some aerial photograph of the type of place I like to pan and look for fossils and arrowheads. During the summers now the water completely evaporates from the streams and makes for easy geological sample retrievals.

Thank you all for you insight and strong opinions I am weighing them all in as potential factors, including the Arsenic theory.

My friend in East Europe will soon be able to add to the analysis pool of data we are gathering together.

I have a question, how would an XRF handle possible unknown elements? Would it fill it in as another element ?

Also notice the XRF machine #1 found Copper XRF machine #2 found Cobalt. Could this actually be an unknown element? NiS is obviously in order and I have a couple names that might be interested in running the samples.
Not to highjack the thread, but the bush in the lower left hand of the picture, sure looks like a decapitated Coyote head. Had to look at it twice to figure out what I was looking at.
Time for more weed.

I do not understand why the refineries pay little for the minerals that contain Iridium, if it is a strategic metal for the production of Hydrogen, if they do not pay well few want to mess with the iridium. and they don't want to buy it

Big issue mostly is that minerals like iridosmine/osmiridium that is basically Ir rich material is extremely bad to process. It is not like normal refining materials, not easily decomposed and put into solution, not easily handled without utmost care and control and has unfavorable ratios of the elements that contaminates the refinery's usual flowsheets. There's not enough of that mineral to justify building out a process for it when so many secondary and normal mining materials are solved problems. It is a needless complication to the flow sheet and one that established refineries don't like.

Then of course is the compliance issue: most of the high quality stuff is from S. America, and there is great concern among people in W. Hemisphere about sourcing materials from Mexico on south or from Africa. This is due to the rampant money laundering, kidnapping, tax evasion and violence associated with the machismo gangster culture that represses these lands. This means the due diligence process to make sure the refiner does not get a fine or get shut down for unwittingly being involved in something terrible is extensive and therefore hugely expensive. Couple the craptacular nature of processing the material with all of the compliance issues, and it's going to take something worse than climate change to make it so it is accepted at major refineries. The hardest thing to change: culture change.

Thankfully there is always Switzerland and China...both love making money however possible. How much gold from S. America and Africa does Switzerland refine?!

Big issue mostly is that minerals like iridosmine/osmiridium that is basically Ir rich material is extremely bad to process.

Couple the craptacular nature of processing the material with all of the compliance issues, and it's going to take something worse than climate change to make it so it is accepted at major refineries. The hardest thing to change: culture change.

Thankfully there is always Switzerland and China...both love making money however possible. How much gold from S. America and Africa does Switzerland refine?!
Yep. Everything contamined with osmium... That won´t go away. JM and BASF forcefully producing thousands of kilos of Os waste that need to be safely stored - indefinitely. That is the best case scenario.
Like with mercury or cadmium, but I think Os can be worse in some ways. Whatever you create from it contain toxic heavy metal.

Like you say, if it ends up somewhere in China or Middle East, most likely it ends up in the wind - nature´s biggest bin. Few blind workers will be replaced or relocated, no problem. Everybody happy, we ended in green numbers :)

Big issue mostly is that minerals like iridosmine/osmiridium that is basically Ir rich material is extremely bad to process. It is not like normal refining materials, not easily decomposed and put into solution, not easily handled without utmost care and control and has unfavorable ratios of the elements that contaminates the refinery's usual flowsheets. There's not enough of that mineral to justify building out a process for it when so many secondary and normal mining materials are solved problems. It is a needless complication to the flow sheet and one that established refineries don't like.

Luego, por supuesto, está el problema del cumplimiento: la mayoría de los materiales de alta calidad provienen de América del Sur, y existe una gran preocupación entre la gente del hemisferio occidental sobre la obtención de materiales de México en el sur o de África. Esto se debe al lavado de dinero rampante, el secuestro, la evasión de impuestos y la violencia asociada con la cultura mafiosa del machismo que reprime estas tierras. Esto significa que el proceso de diligencia debida para asegurarse de que la refinería no reciba una multa o sea cerrado por estar involucrado involuntariamente en algo terrible es extenso y, por lo tanto, enormemente costoso. Combine la naturaleza cratacular del procesamiento del material con todos los problemas de cumplimiento, y se necesitará algo peor que el cambio climático para que sea aceptado en las principales refinerías. Lo más difícil de cambiar: el cambio de cultura.

Afortunadamente, siempre están Suiza y China... a ambos les encanta ganar dinero como sea posible. ¿Cuánto oro de S. América y África refina Suiza?
Good comments.

Edit by Moderator:
Removed double quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s very difficult and expensive to process. And though it is used as a catalyst that results in Hydrogen (among other things) it doesn’t produce Hydrogen. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and can be collected in other, much easier and less expensive processes.

But osmium has a price that is going up, why don't they process it and sell it?
The osmium price continued its record chase in the first half of 2021. This was not a matter of habit. While gold was only up 7.4% on the year, osmium investors were pleased with 5.62%.
https://www.buy-osmium.com/es/barren/

that osmium institute is a load of crap. They make up whatever the hell they want about it. They got laughed out of a presentation at international precious metals institute.

Now JM and plugpower have just teamed up to produce hydrogen, the CEO of plugpower says that with 25% of the amount of Iridium produced in the world, he can generate enough hydrogen with his PEM electrolysers. once again, iridium is the most strategic metal in the coming years. I think I'm going to accumulate a lot now that nobody wants to refine it, when it's above 6,800USD, I'll sell it, I'll be a millionaire!

Now JM and plugpower have just teamed up to produce hydrogen, the CEO of plugpower says that with 25% of the amount of Iridium produced in the world, he can generate enough hydrogen with his PEM electrolysers. once again, iridium is the most strategic metal in the coming years. I think I'm going to accumulate a lot now that nobody wants to refine it, when it's above 6,800USD, I'll sell it, I'll be a millionaire!
I think it will go to 12000 an oz soon.

Still have some micrometeorites available .... The true ammount is turning out to be about .5% Ir

Legitimate meteorites will sell for quite a bit of money. It'd be a total waste of time chasing a few grams of iridium when you could sell the meteorites for much more.
And who exactly could you sell a meteorite too? I have a rock believed to be a meteorite. I have had an XRF ran on it twice. It is extremely dense, 9 kg, my email is [email protected] if you might be interested in pictures..

Back