Removing SMD Componets from Boards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mschindler300

Hello All

im new to this forum I have been processing PC cards and stripping them down and now have boards with SMD componets on them I remove the Chips with a Box cutter but The Resistors and capacitors seem to a bit harder to remove does anyone have a quick method on removing these componets

Thank You
Matt

Matt,

I believe most people de-populate their boards if interested with a heat source. The heat source that comes to mind is a toaster oven. Use the pan to catch the de-populated SMDs.

I question the output of resistors though. What is the source of your materials?

Good Luck,
Nick

P.S

Other methods I can recall are "SandBAth" from Hoke's Book. It involves useing a hot plate with a pan full of sand. Heat set at high to try to melt the lead then absorb it in the sand. This will slowly release the SMDs.

I personally just try to cut them out much like LazerSteve shows in his videos.

GL,
Nick

yes I have no Intentions on recoving these Items IM more interested in the Copper Clad off the PCB I did pick up a small Air Scribe (Chisel) today im gonna see how it works

i just wanted to point out that surface mounted components should not be over looked. Both the pads & via' as well as the components themselves are layered with nickel and palladium.
this is prevent corrosion. The palladium is not on the inside but the outside.

DNIndustry said:
i just wanted to point out that surface mounted components should not be over looked. Both the pads & via' as well as the components themselves are layered with nickel and palladium.
this is prevent corrosion. The palladium is not on the inside but the outside.

What about through hole Componets like resistors/Diodes I recover Cap and large items and Resell them IN bulk But resistors and Small items I Cut off and have Buckets of them Didnt No if there worth Anything and I keep the SM componets In mind I do save them but for nothing more right now then just Storage space. Im gonna look into do some recovery on them might save me on having someone haul it away

Thanks for the Tip DNindustry

Latest posts

Back