RENAMED : TOADIES FIRST CELL

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the cell is fizzing and a black residue is floating off into the cell, you are getting gold most likely. The longer the items take and the higher the amps on the meter the thicker the gold plate as a rule of thumb.

AR is going to handle your impurities like a charm don't fret that.

The reddish orange is most likely copper.

Great Job!

Steve

Gold photos don't usually show true color so, it's hard to tell. To me, the gold on the piece on the right looks much, much heavier than the left one. The right one is more matte and has great color, both of which are often indications of thick gold. The left one has terrible color and it looks so thin that it's brightness is due to the bright nickel underneath the gold. On the older, thicker stuff, you often find gold directly over copper, without the bright nickel layer. These are generalities and there are exceptions.

I don't know what they use as a gold substitute on jewelry. If metallic, it would HAVE to be a copper alloy. Any copper alloy without a clear coat would have to tarnish or turn green except maybe aluminum bronze, which is yellow, looks nothing like gold, and wont plate. If non-metallic, it would probably be super shiny and really be off color.

Nothing yellow I can think of will damage the stripper and almost nothing on earth could be damaging to AR. The sulfuric is so strong that it becomes saturated with only minute amounts of base metals dissolved in it.

FILTERING!!!!!!

That's an 8" filter setup... lookin' good so far...

filtercell003be4.jpg

Toadie,

Looks great. Be sure you rinse the black powder throughly so you don't end up with and base metals in the product. The rinses should come thru clear and without a trace of color. Are you going to redissolve the gold and precipitate again?

Steve

Toadiesop

Is that a metal strainer in your photo? My plastic spaghetti strainers hold up pretty good! Thank you for posting your pictures as I have yet to see Steve's videos. The pictures of the molds really helped also.

Thanks
Wayne

Huh? Don't look at me like a teacher!! :shock: :lol:

HAHAHA!! I'm just a nOOb too!!! But yes, they are metal. They must be stainless steel. You have to see Steve's videos before you do anything more.

You'll save yourself a lot of headaches. Trust me. I would not have been able to do what I did there SAFELY had it not been for his help.

This post seems like soooo long ago. That's how far I feel I've come thanks to this forum. (in 3 or 4 months)

yet another example of outdated information (on my part asking questions that are now irrelevant)

Just watch Steve's vids, and then search for "peroxide" or "h202" and all will be revealed.

If you want to take some shortcuts to finding good posts, go to the General Chat section and check out the links in my Guide to the Forum.

Here's a link to help you find the guide:

Guide to the Forum

The guide is fully clickable.

Have fun with it!

Steve

Goldsilverpro

I made a 22ga copper cathode from sheet, just cut it to length and width and bent it to shape with fingers. I had some fluffy black stuff build up on cathode but didn't seem to affect action in cell. Wipes off easilly with plastic spoon in or out of cell. Cathode seems to be holding up very well. I am also using the copper sheet for anode contact strip as well.

I had some brass window screen from home depot left over from another project. I made a single layer brass screen basket about 4" long which works great, but would be better doubled so pins wouldn't try to fall through. The brass leached to copper appearance in a couple of minutes. I used several alligator clip jumpers from outside of basket to copper anode contact strip for supporting outside edge of basket with the added bonus of voltage being supplied there also.

I used an alligater clip jumper held by hand to touch and apply voltage to any spots on pins still showing gold. Worked very well on cut up sections of gold plated 3mm gold chain and several tough spots with heavier plating on larger plated pendants.

I'm using a 12volt/10amp battery charger without a 6volt switch, using it as is at 12volts. Using roto drain cleaner diluted slightly from higher strength as per your instruction.

I have some 22ga mild steel sheet from hardware store but haven't tried your mild steel sheet cathode recomendation yet.

Just wanted you to know I'm really listening to your great advice!

Wayne

Have only run for about 4hrs total, notice surface oxidation which is easily removed with steel wool or light scraping. In second picture you can see crud buildup on cathode, which easily wipes off with plastic spoon as it is not really adhered to copper surface. Ran about 1/4lb mixed pins at this point.

I plan on using spent copper cathodes and anodes, contact strips to add to stock pot as metal precipitant,

Wayne

Attachments

• copper cathode& anode in cell.JPG
    copper cathode& anode in cell.JPG
    123.3 KB
  • copper cathode & anode, contact strip.JPG
    copper cathode & anode, contact strip.JPG
    133.6 KB
well, i build my cell today, like toadies and steves. works like a charm. Absolutely perfect.

will SS mesh work for a basket?

Ryan

Latest posts

Back