Reverse electroplate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natez

I am very new to this but i have been trying to reverse electroplate ingots i made that are 15%silver 80%copper and 5% phosphorus... it doesn't seem to be going great... the "silver" i get and melt down still has a copperish gray look and the ss dish i used got holes eaten into it i am trying to get the silver and cupell it to almost pure... any help would be appreciated thatnks

Attachments

• 20211126_081310.jpg
    20211126_081310.jpg
    972 KB · Views: 12
I am very new to this but i have been trying to reverse electroplate ingots i made that are 15%silver 80%copper and 5% phosphorus... it doesn't seem to be going great... the "silver" i get and melt down still has a copperish gray look and the ss dish i used got holes eaten into it i am trying to get the silver and cupell it to almost pure... any help would be appreciated thatnks
You will need to clean up your silver first.
A silver cell should have 90%+ purity first.
Refine your silver with other means and then go to the silver cell.
And make sure you have good connection to your anode and cathode.

You will need to clean up your silver first.
A silver cell should have 90%+ purity first.
Refine your silver with other means and then go to the silver cell.
And make sure you have good connection to your anode and cathode.
What are other ways to clean it up? I was thinking this was away to get it closer so i could cupell the rest

Your biggest problem is the copper, it’s too high for a silver cell and too low for a copper one .
You could try AP but I would remelt the bars into flakes and if you have more of this material do not melt it, the other alternative is to use the bars for cementation of the silver from a silver nitrate solution which would be a free process as the silver would drop out and the copper would be consumed .

Your biggest problem is the copper, it’s too high for a silver cell and too low for a copper one .
You could try AP but I would remelt the bars into flakes and if you have more of this material do not melt it, the other alternative is to use the bars for cementation of the silver from a silver nitrate solution which would be a free process as the silver would drop out and the copper would be consumed .
What is AP and where could i research the silver nitrate solution method

Natez, Is this silver brazing or rod? It is the same composition of some types.

If it is in rod form and marked it may be worth more as it is.

I would consider adding copper to bring the copper content up and then running it through a copper-electrowinning cell using copper sulfate as the electrolyte.

It is more trouble than using nitric.

Natez, Is this silver brazing or rod? It is the same composition of some types.

If it is in rod form and marked it may be worth more as it is.

I would consider adding copper to bring the copper content up and then running it through a copper-electrowinning cell using copper sulfate as the electrolyte.

It is more trouble than using nitric.
It is tiny scraps of brazing rod yes... where could i read up on a copper-electrowinning cell

Back