Rhodium analysis

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayf

i got a metalic powder that i expected to be rhodium or to contain rhodium judging from the color and the chemical resistance
any ways i did an alkohol rhodium test as follows, i mixed a gram of it with some KHSO4 and heated it at constant temperature of 400° then i dissolved it in AR and added some pure alcohol, the color of the solution changed into black indicating an existance of RH

Secondly i took about 5 grams of the assay and dissolved it in 250 ml 70% sulfuric acid mixed with a spoon of salt under heating (under fumehood and safety procedures of course)
after 1 hour and a half, every thing has dissolved and the solution's color was oily dark, i added 250 ml water and couple spoons of naoh and left over night , in the morning igot about half gram of dark sponge powder
can any obe confirm if its rhodium because through reading here and there i concluded that this method gives you pure rhodium.

Back