Royally screwed !

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful. I may not have to draw it up, if you see where I'm going with these images.

Attachments

• Ceramic Chamber with Coil.jpg
    Ceramic Chamber with Coil.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Ceramic chamber without coil..jpg
    Ceramic chamber without coil..jpg
    26 KB · Views: 4
  • Ceramic Shield.jpg
    Ceramic Shield.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3
  • Ceramic Chamber Side Bottom.jpg
    Ceramic Chamber Side Bottom.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Ceramic Chamber Side Top.jpg
    Ceramic Chamber Side Top.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 4
Wow! Nice rendition, I don't know if I have mentioned this before, my neighbor just by coincidence builds propane burners using old LP tanks, he melts copper from left-over scrap into bars, he has offered to build me a rig, if this new furnace fails or is going thru too many crucibles, I may take him up on the offer.

I fixed the pictures, and added a couple more. They should be much clearer, and you should be able to zoom in on them as well now.

I actually have a few choices of potters here in Grand Rapids, thanks for the input, they should be able to produce anything one desires..

Wow! Nice rendition, I don't know if I have mentioned this before, my neighbor just by coincidence builds propane burners using old LP tanks, he melts copper from left-over scrap into bars, he has offered to build me a rig, if this new furnace fails or is going thru too many crucibles, I may take him up on the offer.
It's always nice to have options ready at hand, plus it is a great excuse to get another new tool.

If you're going to do silver, Go Gas!
If the neighbor knows how to build furnaces, jump on it.
You will thank yourself later! If it's gold go with a torch.

Last edited:
I would also check locally, and see if you can find spools of 18 gauge Kanthal wire. You can use that wire to make your own coils, it's much cheaper then buying premade. The coils themselves are not difficult to make, a drill, wood block, and a dowel rod work just fine.

I actually just started a batch, I am curious as to how the silver cell will work, I have contacted a potter down the street, I believe he thinks I'm crazy, but I don't know if he fully understands the concept.. I'm building a new silver cell, starting with the graphite block, I drilled a hole in the side, I packed the hole with some extra wire, I think I wasn't getting good contact point to complete the circuit

Attachments

• 1 Graphite.JPG
    1 Graphite.JPG
    779.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 2 Drill Hole.JPG
    2 Drill Hole.JPG
    655.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 3 Fill Hole.JPG
    3 Fill Hole.JPG
    750.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 4 Insert Wire.JPG
    4 Insert Wire.JPG
    548.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 5 Glue Wire.JPG
    5 Glue Wire.JPG
    597.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 6 Seal Wire.JPG
    6 Seal Wire.JPG
    875.8 KB · Views: 3
I also beefed up the wiring from the power source with a heavier gauge ..

Attachments

• 6a Wire.JPG
    6a Wire.JPG
    784.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 6b Added Fuse.JPG
    6b Added Fuse.JPG
    802.7 KB · Views: 5
Oh, AMS-Pro, I almost forgot the dimensions, 7' wide x 7 1/2 " in length, I did have to cut the coil, so that may be out of the equation..

Attachments

• Size 1.JPG
    Size 1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • Size 2.JPG
    Size 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • Cut coil.JPG
    Cut coil.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
You might want to test that silicon against your nitric solution for potential contamination. Silver Nitric is used for etching silicon.

Although the stranded wire will work, solid wire would be better. The fuse is good.

As far as the dimensions go, If you could get a ceramic shield with an outside diameter made to fit that, a wall thickness of 1/4 in. would probably work well.

Ceramic Shield: Outside diameter 6 3/4 in. roughly, inside diameter 6 1/2 in. roughly. 1/4 in. wall thickness.

Ceramic chamber without coil: Outside diameter 5 3/4 in. roughly, inside diameter 4 3/4 in. roughly. 1/2 in. wall thickness. Coil grooves 1/4 in. deep

The coil diameter is going to roughly be 3/8 in., this is going to add some thickness to the chamber.

Ceramic chamber with coil: Outside diameter 6 in. Roughly.

This will leave about 1/4 in. roughly of clearance between the coil/chamber, and the shield.

You'll need a topper/tabletop, and crucible with a flange made to fit.

Edit* The part of the crucible that will be inside of the coil chamber, is going to need to be about of 4 1/4 in., and the flange should be about 5 in. roughly.

The tabletop should be about 1 in. thick., with a hole diameter of 4 3/8 in. roughly.

Last edited:
You should be able to remove that red cylinder, or have an easy way to get to the coil contact points where it meets with base. Is that the case with your equipment?

Depending on how its designed, you may need to make the diameter of the shield, and coil chamber smaller to allow room for the coil wires to drop down and connect.

Back