Rules of Solubility

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Despotic

I ran across this and thought it should be shared.

Dr. A.K. Williams said:
O.K., here it comes, deez ah de rules!!

Rules of Solubility

1. Nitrates, chlorates, and acetates of all metals are water-soluble. No exceptions.
2. All Sodium, Potassium, and ammonium salts are soluble in water. No exceptions.
3. Chloride salts of all metals except Lead, Silver, and Mercury 1 (ous) are water-soluble. E.g., Mercurous Iodide is insoluble. Water insoluble Chlorides, Bromides, and Iodides are also insoluble in dilute acids.
4. Carbonates, Phosphates, Borates, Sulfites, Chromates, and Arsenates of all metals except for sodium, Potassium, and Ammonia are water-soluble.
5. Sulphates of all metals except for Barium, Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, and Ammonia are water-soluble.
6. Oxides and Hydroxides are water insoluble except for Sodium, Potassium, and ammonia. (Hydroxides of Calcium and Barium are moderately soluble in water.

Well guys, that’s about it. There is a little more info about how to convert these salts from Chloride to Nitrate, Nitrate to Hydroxide, Hydroxide to Iodide etc. Gonna do that on another page that will be about “mass action”.

Credit goes to Dr. A.K. Williams, Ph.D Basement Chemistry for the Prospector - Rules of Solubility
EDIT: Changed #5 from sulfides to sulphates

That is not correct,

5. Sulfides of all metals except for Barium, Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, and Ammonia are water-soluble.

Iron sulphide is the same as pyrite and the last time I checked it did not dissolve in water, neither did my samples of chalcopyrite, arsenopyrite, galena, molybdite.... and so on.

I have a hard time to think that someone that is Dr and Ph.D making such a mistake so maybe there was a transcription error on the way. Maybe it is sulphates the list talks about.

Yes, after a study of wiki, it does seem the good doctor has made a mistake.

To me some of the "ates" and "ides" descriptions might as well be in Chinese so I'm diffident in this matter. I'll wait for a definite, "the doctor's statement is wrong," answer.

One example I might cite is iron. Ferrous sulfide (pyrite) isn't soluble in water, yet ferrous sulfate is (copperas, a reagent that can be used to precipitate gold).

Harold

I believe both you and Harold have been very clear on this.
#5 has been changed to read:
5. Sulphates of all metals except for Barium, Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, and Ammonia are water-soluble.

Is this statement correct?

The moderators would like to thank all of the members who contributed to the original thread that this post was based on, as well as those who asked questions showing what was missing. Because of the extra length and interest in this thread we have created the above, consolidated version making for an easier read. We encourage all members to read, comment, and ask questions in the original thread, Rules of Solubility.

The moderators have edited some posts in this thread that made reference to posts that were deleted. We strive to make these Library threads as concise as possible by deleting posts that do not add information to the original topic. All of the original posts are still preserved in the thread listed above.

The Library threads should not be considered to constitute a complete education. Instead, they're more like reading a single book on the subject of recovery and refining. There is so much more information on the forum, and it is impossible to include it all in these condensed threads. Members are strongly encouraged to read the rest of the forum to round out their education.

For those who prefer a printed copy, a pdf file of this thread is provided below.

Attachments

• Rules of Solubility.pdf
    64 KB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back