Selective precipitation of rhodium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I knew all the terms in chemistry but several people here use "cementation". What is that? Same as precipitation?

I used a self forged Ti boat (that I had previously used for Pt fusion) , 500 mg blacks + 2g NaOH to get a good mix. Heated from bottom with MAP torch on very low with orange heat on bottom. As the melt proceeded, I would get orange mini fireballs in the melt and orange flames at edge of Ti boat. Then OOPS, the Ti boat melted hole in bottom. I was able to retrieve almost all of the melt. Added HCl to cover boat immersed in the beaker. Got the boat cleaned, pulled it then added H2O2 and got it hot for about an hour. Vac filtered and solution is yellow/reddish brown, depending on the lighting: more reddish from bottom against incandescent light. I'm boiling it down to remove the H2O2 then go for NH4Cl and see what I get. Best guess Pd/Rh? That's what the XRF says is predominant in the starting material, some Pt and negligible Ir (error). Whaddaya think? I have probably 150g of these blacks that are highly reflective white metal under scope light.

I used a self forged Ti boat (that I had previously used for Pt fusion) , 500 mg blacks + 2g NaOH to get a good mix. Heated from bottom with MAP torch on very low with orange heat on bottom. As the melt proceeded, I would get orange mini fireballs in the melt and orange flames at edge of Ti boat. Then OOPS, the Ti boat melted hole in bottom. I was able to retrieve almost all of the melt. Added HCl to cover boat immersed in the beaker. Got the boat cleaned, pulled it then added H2O2 and got it hot for about an hour. Vac filtered and solution is yellow/reddish brown, depending on the lighting: more reddish from bottom against incandescent light. I'm boiling it down to remove the H2O2 then go for NH4Cl and see what I get. Best guess Pd/Rh? That's what the XRF says is predominant in the starting material, some Pt and negligible Ir (error). Whaddaya think? I have probably 150g of these blacks that are highly reflective white metal under scope light.
??????
Very confusing story.
What did you start with from where?
0.5 grams (500mg) of black and so on.
If it is sponge, dissolve in HCl and peroxide. Then drop again.
It is not enough to separate in decent amounts I think.

the Blacks won't go into solution with HCl and KClO3, and HCl/H2O2 doesn't put a dent in it either. that why the attempted fusion to Chloride solution

the Blacks won't go into solution with HCl and KClO3, and HCl/H2O2 doesn't put a dent in it either. that why the attempted fusion to Chloride solution
You still has not answered the questions.
Where did it come from?
How was it treated?

The whole story

During the melt in the Ti boat it probably fused with Ti as well.

You could try Sodium peroxide or oxone, but I have no idea if it will work with your mix.

You still has not answered the questions.
Where did it come from?
How was it treated?

The whole story

During the melt in the Ti boat it probably fused with Ti as well.

You could try Sodium peroxide or oxone, but I have no idea if it will work with your mix.
it is from a mining concentrate. I'm just trying to get the handle on what it is. I need a good XRF on it. I tried it out as a catalyst today in an organic dehydrogenation and it works perfect. So PGM canttellyarite. But can't find that on the periodic table Group 8.
And looking for someone to take it to a refiner.

What kind of mining?
Where and so on?

"canttellyarite" You are kidding...
Right???
Read that out loud.

Anyone have a reliable XRF with standards? BTW, I did use the product in an organic dehydrogenation yesterday and it works as any good PGM should. I'm still thinking mostly Pd.

Back