• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale Selling Salicylic Acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucknails

I have an excess of Salicylic Acid, pharmaceutical grade, at my lab. I have (3) 25kg bags that I can sell in whole or part. The expiration date is Nov 23'. Willing to give a great price on it.

I have an excess of Salicylic Acid, pharmaceutical grade, at my lab. I have (3) 25kg bags that I can sell in whole or part. The expiration date is Nov 23'. Willing to give a great price on it.
Wikipedia:

Salicylic acid is an organic compound with the formula HOC6H4COOH.[3] A colorless, bitter-tasting solid, it is a precursor to and a metabolite of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid).[3] It is a plant hormone,[8] and has been listed by the EPA Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) Chemical Substance Inventory as an experimental teratogen.[9] The name is from Latin salix for willow tree, from which it was initially identified and derived. It is an ingredient in some anti-acne products. Salts and esters of salicylic acid are known as salicylates.

Not sure of the regulations, is it even legal to sell?

I also see no use in refining.

Wikipedia:

Salicylic acid is an organic compound with the formula HOC6H4COOH.[3] A colorless, bitter-tasting solid, it is a precursor to and a metabolite of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid).[3] It is a plant hormone,[8] and has been listed by the EPA Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) Chemical Substance Inventory as an experimental teratogen.[9] The name is from Latin salix for willow tree, from which it was initially identified and derived. It is an ingredient in some anti-acne products. Salts and esters of salicylic acid are known as salicylates.

Not sure of the regulations, is it even legal to sell?

I also see no use in refining.
Yes, it is legal or I wouldn't have it.

Its used in some methods of refining which is nothing new. Been using it for years.

Thank you for your inquiry

Just because you legally own something doesn't mean you can legally sell it to someone not authorized to posses it... example: Gun stores can legally posses firearms, but they can't sell it to someone who legally can't own one.

Perhaps you can enlighten us on it's use. I did a search on the forum and found nothing on it's use in refining, It maybe an interesting process.

Interesting, but do it work in real life outside the labs?

No idea, but his post makes more sense now since there are apparently some processes that do use it. If someone wanted to try it on a small experimental scale they can make salicylic acid from Aspirin, there are some YouTube videos on how to make it. In any case, the more traditional precipitants are going to be cheaper for home refining due to their much wider range of uses and availability. The only thing I ever used it for (as the salt sodium salicylate), was for making pyrotechnic whistles.

there are some YouTube videos on how to make it.

Here are two YouTube channels that I have seen in the past.
Nile red
Nation of our hobbies

Hopefully the OP will get into more detail on its use. I'm not sure if it will be cost/time effective compared to the standard reducing agents...but it would be another tool if needed.

We use salicylic in a prepatory leaching process of raw ore - this is part 1 of two phases of the prep. Its one element in a simple formula which includes a specific ratio and a heat setting for a specific period of time. It is cost-effective.

The logic of its legality defies reason and reality.

I have some for sale. That's all.

We use salicylic in a prepatory leaching process of raw ore - this is part 1 of two phases of the prep. Its one element in a simple formula which includes a specific ratio and a heat setting for a specific period of time. It is cost-effective.

The logic of its legality defies reason and reality.

I have some for sale. That's all.
Is that a process you are allowed to share with the forum?

Back