Silver Cell Electrolyte

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4.55 Amps, within 2.21 to 4.55 Amps range.
2.27 Volts, within 1.5 volts to 3.5 Volt Range.
10.329 Watts, within 3.315-15.925 Watt range.
0.5 Ohms Resistance, within .33 - .77 Resistance range.

Edits*

Amps, volts, watts, and resistance at the lower range is optimal.

Amps, and watts currently are on higher side. Amps at higher side will result in crystals growing faster, and thinner.

The volts, and ohms are at a happy medium currently. A wonderful base line.

Last edited:
Had to terminate the cell tonight, I have to pack for a quick trip to Portland, OR for a week, the results are satisfactory IMO, seeing is that this is only my third time performing the steps, the electrolyte did turn mildly bluish in color after about 8 hours in, the anode is intact and could be used for the next batch, overall the power supply worked much better and was more controllable, the connection for the cathode was beefed up and the basket was a compliment to the setup, because I chose to utilize the Buchner funnel, the rinsing was much easier and I filtered the crystals 10 times using distilled water with ease and didn't consume a lot of time.

Attachments

• 1 Yield.JPG
    1 Yield.JPG
    703.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 2 Rinse.JPG
    2 Rinse.JPG
    750.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 3 Drying.JPG
    3 Drying.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
Safe travels.

That's a good looking 8 hours, 3rd time's a charm. It's wonderful you got the setup rolling good, and you're able to start filling in your spread sheet with solid numbers. The hard part is over.

Hello All,

Is there an alternative electrolyte that can be used in stead of silver nitrate? Nitric is a problem for me to obtain and wondered if a sodium nitrate solution would work? or some kind of HCL based electrolyte.

Hello All,

Is there an alternative electrolyte that can be used in stead of silver nitrate? Nitric is a problem for me to obtain and wondered if a sodium nitrate solution would work? or some kind of HCL based electrolyte.
Try a photo supply shop or warehouse, the silver nitrate that is used for wet plate making may work

Gwar, i find a good starting point at 150 grams of silver per liter of electrolyte. You can add more if need be as you go on. If your shot is relatively pure the electrolyte can be reused multiple times.
Question... After making the silver nitrate using .999 silver shot, what ratio is the distilled water to the Silver nitrate. I have tried to find this answer on the forum already but have not had any luck and I apologize if I am asking a question that has already been answered multiple times. Thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated!!!

When making your electrolyte you should go for a concentration of 300g/liter. There’s no ratio of electrolyte to water. Adding water only reduces the concentration of silver in the electrolyte. So what you want to do is make enough electrolyte so that you can top off your cell with full strength solution. Alternatively, you can increase the concentration per liter and then dilute by the amount necessary to get back to 300g/liter, but that seems like more trouble than it’s worth to me. Just make your electrolyte in the proper concentration in quantity necessary for your operation.

has anyone seen "john geologist" video on youtube 'refining silver without nitric acid with electrolisis'

Thoughts and opinions?

Had to terminate the cell tonight, I have to pack for a quick trip to Portland, OR for a week, the results are satisfactory IMO, seeing is that this is only my third time performing the steps, the electrolyte did turn mildly bluish in color after about 8 hours in, the anode is intact and could be used for the next batch, overall the power supply worked much better and was more controllable, the connection for the cathode was beefed up and the basket was a compliment to the setup, because I chose to utilize the Buchner funnel, the rinsing was much easier and I filtered the crystals 10 times using distilled water with ease and didn't consume a lot of time.
That looks good.
Might have to copy that spread sheet.
My sloppy notes are not cutting it

I have tried it and confirmed it works, but would love to drill down on nitrate volumes, volts, amps cell design etc.

I have tried it and confirmed it works, but would love to drill down on nitrate volumes, volts, amps cell design etc.
Maybe start a new thread in the electrolysis section on what you have learned and the rest can come in with ideas and opinions. I would like to try it and will if I can get caught up on a few other things first.

How did you mix the chemicals, the water to nitrate ratios? Did you use sodium or potassium nitrate?

Question... After making the silver nitrate using .999 silver shot, what ratio is the distilled water to the Silver nitrate. I have tried to find this answer on the forum already but have not had any luck and I apologize if I am asking a question that has already been answered multiple times. Thank you for your input. It is greatly

Steve may I quote your notes from an earlier post about recycling Cu( NO3)2

“My own testing of recycling real world copper nitrate solutions are typically in the range of 1.7 g/ml spgr when saturated which is closely in line with the Dictionary referenced table at 25C.

My procedure for testing spgr involves a 0.01 accuracy gram scale, a clean and dry all plastic 0.1ml x 10ml medicine syringe, and a room temperature sample of the liquid to test. Tare the scale with the syringe empty on it and record syringe mass. Draw in exactly 5ml without any bubbles and record the mass of the liquid only. Divide the liquid mass by 5ml.”

I hope this is permitted still trying to figure things out , I seem to go down rabbit holes researching this. I reduced my Cu( NO3)2 solution but not enough back at it again this weekend .

How did you mix the chemicals, the water to nitrate ratios? Did you use sodium or potassium nitrate?
Sodium nitrate
I totally eye balled it, in my mind I had equal weight nitrate to amount of silver I wanted to dissolve and the nitrate was dissolved into 2 litres of water.

I'm not anywhere smart enough to be able to put a balanced equation together, but hoping someone could go into detail here as the video referenced is never revisited or expanded on.

Sodium nitrate
I totally eye balled it, in my mind I had equal weight nitrate to amount of silver I wanted to dissolve and the nitrate was dissolved into 2 litres of water.

I'm not anywhere smart enough to be able to put a balanced equation together, but hoping someone could go into detail here as the video referenced is never revisited or expanded on.
You have already started a new thread, why do you not continue the discussion there?

Back