Silver Melting and Molding

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redeemed19

Hello, I am wondering how does one make a mold for molten Silver? I know graphite is an option but I am not sure how to "Make" a Graphite mold for a Coin that I want to make.
I also have a smaller simpler rectangular shape with a small design on it that I could make from molding sand. But I was wondering if there was any way I could make a mold that is good for Silver pouring at home without fancy equipment like a 3D Printer or CNC Machine. Any Ideas?

Casting coins results in fairly poor results as the details tend to be lost which is why coins are made using dies , sand casting is probably your best route but as stated the details may not be that good.

Does anyone know where to get custom stamped coin dies? I think I could pour it into the correct shape. For the best quality I usually see it pressed first but maybe I could figure something out.

Thanks for the replies!

There are several suppliers online. I don't have any on the top of my head. Google is your friend. Search for silver molds.

I have a small graphite mold for making 1 ozt rounds, I think I got it from Amazon or eBay years ago. Probably the best coin you could make without a press & die would be to hand engrave a blank round, but that's a whole 'nother skill set (see also: hobo nickels). But really any non-die method would need to be carved, it's just whether your carving wax or engraving silver. You would get a fair amount of detail from either, especially if you're spin-casting.

If you can carve it in the right kind of wax, I or any number of forum members could lost-wax cast it for you. Get with your caster of choice and they can either recommend or send you a wax blank.

--Eric

Edit to add: or have it printed if you can design it in a CAD program. Check your local area for maker groups and workshops to find a printer. You can also do lost-wax casting from some types of 3D printer materials.

The graphite molds have not held up as well as the die.

Attachments

• 20211201_165253.jpg
    20211201_165253.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 20211122_213735.jpg
    20211122_213735.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 20211122_213354.jpg
    20211122_213354.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211122_213320.jpg
    20211122_213320.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211122_213315.jpg
    20211122_213315.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 27
Blackestfoot,

Nice strikes! Where do you make your dies?

Be safe

Pete
Pete,

Thank you! It's a lot of work to refine, weight, mill, and strike.
I found a custom die maker on easy. About $300. Takes a month to get the die and no returns so make sure you get your sizing right the first time. I have had 2 made and still not happy. Having 2 more made in a bigger size one for gold coins and one for silver. All 1ozt. It's just a fun way to store my refineries (lol). For my pirate treasure.

Stampscustom. Is the name of the shop. And I can only get to them through Etsy. The dies come from kharkiv,ukrain.
I found Stamps custom after posting the question in this forum. I just bought a hand die. I do have an issue with pouring blanks though because I am not using a 1 oz coin. So I am looking into finding a mold for my blanks that are the correct diameter and height. I have gotten a few quotes but they are asking as much for graphite molds as I paid for the stamping dies. Lol

I’ve been wanting to make a custom coin forever! What product did you buy? I’m looking at the store and I only see ink stamps, other soft materials and branding irons? Did I miss coin dies?

It can be pricey. I'm doing 1ozt so it's a bit more convenient. But I found that I had to weigh each one and pour individually to get my weight on point. Then roll or hammer each one to get it to the dimensions I'm looking for then once I have 20-40 of them then I heat each one to redness put it in the die and strike it 3-4 times. I found I can get about 3-4 strikes before I get a double strike on the coin. So long as its hot it kinda sticks to the die. Also I've got 2 different types of die. I found the one in the picture works better then the hand held ones. Ie. The die that's made for a hydraulic press. I still do it by hand though. 30ton press is not big enough I have found. Maybe 80-100 ton but I can't find access to one in my area.
Hope that helps. And post pictures of your progress. I know I'd love to see.

Back