Silver Refining

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marhaba01

Hi, I have been refining gold and silver following the AR procedure. However, the silver which I get is not of the purity I want it to be. Is there any different procedure for getting a purity of 99999?

Apart from the gold refining, I want to start a pure silver refining section hence the requirement of a purity of 99999.

Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

5N silver, well that's pushing it from a non clean room environment.
You will need analytical grade water, acids, impeccable glassware washing routine and glassware washing chemicals fit for a lab, dedicated glassware washer.
Even getting 4N from home is a massive effort, just quietly, unless you see the icp test results stating a ppb for every element I would not accept a say so unless a complete lab report is made. I have seen the generalisation of lab reports, people claiming even 4N I do not buy into that sort of caper.
Then when you get over that hurdle for 5N or even 4N, what furnace are you using, even the zircon from refractories, furnace lining, crucible lining, carbon from the torch, contaminants from the melt dish and borax lining will find their way into your metal, just pouring silver into water will produce detectable contaminants at 5N.

The stainless bowl if using electrolytic cell will leave traces of molybdenum, iron, chrome, etc, the copper used to cement out will have its own trace elements detectable, all this even if you use the correct grade of stainless steel, this is something impossible to rid no matter how many times you run it through the cell.

Same goes if you use Agcl method, salt contaminants, Sugar, etc. Hcl needs to be analytical grade, caustic too and the list goes on and on.

Not trying to deter you from trying, take it from me, a guy who does take every effort and measure, when doing icp for ppb even things you thought are not possible as contaminants will show, its a huge learning curve, but a worthwhile one for me, the process really gets into the nitty gritty and reveals a great many limitations of what is feasibly practical and possible from home refining, also reveals to yourself your own work ethic and cleanliness.

As lightspeed pointed out the first thing is an almost sterile environment to do all the processes in , I also suspect that several refining processes will be necessary and this all takes time, power and chemicals and no doubt expensive equipment so the premium over spot has got to be high to make the enterprise viable financially.

Hi, I have been refining gold and silver following the AR procedure. However, the silver which I get is not of the purity I want it to be. Is there any different procedure for getting a purity of 99999?

Apart from the gold refining, I want to start a pure silver refining section hence the requirement of a purity of 99999.

Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Probably the purest silver you’ll get will be from an electrolytic cell. 4 9s is probably about the best you’ll ever get. I won’t say that 5 9s isn’t possible, but there’s no point because getting that 5th 9 takes you way past the point of diminishing returns. There’s no practical way for an end user to discern the difference and most people wouldn’t believe it without an assay that they wouldn’t be willing to pay for either. 4 9s is pretty darn good and not too hard to get.

Soooo, first you'll want to have a space station laboratory in a total vacuum... lol.

Any reason why you're aiming for such a crazy level of purity? The sheer cost is far beyond what would be commercially worth while, unless you're selling to scientists who require ultra-pure materials.

Back