Situations to Avoid--The Safety Thread--The Spinoff

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I moved these posts here instead of the Rogues Gallery because I didn't want to pass judgement on Rouge or why he's here. We all want what is best for the forum, and sometimes that means helping new members fit in here.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
I moved these posts here instead of the Rogues Gallery because I didn't want to pass judgement on Rouge or why he's here. We all want what is best for the forum, and sometimes that means helping new members fit in here.

Dave
Thank you FrugalRefiner! I highly appreciate you're kindness and understanding. I am trying to fit in despite my rather unusual situation. I am processing 5 metric tons of material with only readily available chemicals in a part of the world where amateur chemistry is looked rather dimly upon, thus why I use the dark web servers a lot to avoid tracking. My goal in this process is to make a process that anyone can do, thus allowing ordinary people with little prior experience to reduce the amount of e-waste shipped overseas or dumped into landfills by disassembling and or processing it themselves. I'm an environmental activist and scientist, looking for a community to collaborate with for sharing similar ideas that has more experience than I do. I am a firm believer that trash is resources that people aren't knowledgeable enough to repurpose in some way. I hope that I can find my way into this social circle and figure out how to share my ideas and thoughts in a way that will be accepted.

I hope that I can find my way into this social circle and figure out how to share my ideas and thoughts in a way that will be accepted.

Those maxims below might help you. I do not say, that I always act on them. I am sure I sometimes might post something annoying or that I am sharper in my tone than necessary, where I should leave it to the mods to comment or not to comment. Nonetheless, this is what I have observed to work on the board.

Read a lot on the forum, read at least 200 times as much as you write.

Don't write in order to tell us how much you know and have tried and in order to impress us, this is irrelevant.

Write in order to learn.

Be becomingly modest. No one waited for you, but it is a privilege to you and us common members at all to be allowed to stay here.

Before you state any idea, try to search the forum, read what has been discussed before - anything that is not conform with the forum mainstream is probably dangerous or otherwise useless. There is very little space for new inventions, since thousands of professionals have spend their lives in the field and none of them was less intelligent than you or me, but most probably on the contrary. If you want, you could try to find out, why things are done one way and not the other. Ask if it doesn't give you peace. But ask after you searched yourself.

Try to be short and clear in your wording. Being clear means also to avoid jokes, that can easily be misunderstood.

Hope that helps

Rougemillenial said:
[ I am trying to fit in despite my rather unusual situation. I am processing 5 metric tons of material with only readily available chemicals in a part of the world where amateur chemistry is looked rather dimly upon, thus why I use the dark web servers a lot to avoid tracking.

Whilst I don't mean to be picky, you're not in the US then as your profile states.

anachronism said:
Rougemillenial said:
[ I am trying to fit in despite my rather unusual situation. I am processing 5 metric tons of material with only readily available chemicals in a part of the world where amateur chemistry is looked rather dimly upon, thus why I use the dark web servers a lot to avoid tracking.

Whilst I don't mean to be picky, you're not in the US then as your profile states.
I'm in the US, though the exact location isn't accessible to other sites I visit

OK so I'd be interested to hear from other people from the US and see if they agree with your assessment. Do they feel as though they need to access the dark web to avoid tracking? Alternatively are they simply not paranoid?

Unless of course your 5 tonnes of material is in fact 5 tonnes of nuclear waste or 5 tonnes of material stolen from other people.

I would love to see a series of photos of that 11,000 pounds you're supposedly working on. One of the photos should show the entire 11,000 pounds.

Your biggest problem, rougemillenial, is that you have zero credibility. Nothing you have said so far has had any value whatsoever. Your lack of knowledge is very obvious to the members. Any refining process of value is found only on this forum. No where else on the internet. Three of us moderators have a total of about 110 years of experience as professional refiners. It takes one to know one and you're definitely not one. Swallow your pride and spend your time learning. From what we've seen, there is nothing of value you know that you can teach us at this point. Everything of any major importance has already been covered on this forum.

anachronism said:
OK so I'd be interested to hear from other people from the US and see if they agree with your assessment. Do they feel as though they need to access the dark web to avoid tracking? Alternatively are they simply not paranoid?.

No, I think for the most part we want to be 'on the radar' as being legitimate. Lest we get mistaken for cooking meth!

My "lab" has been tested a total of three different times by LEO since I have been refining. By now, all my neighbors know what I do and any new call about suspicious behavior is simply not investigated. Most of the city officers has been here at one time or another know what I do. If you are legit, like I am, you are proud to show the officers what you do and show them a nice shiny piece of gold or silver. It's only when you are not legit that you have to worry about the police.

Geo said:
My "lab" has been tested a total of three different times by LEO since I have been refining. By now, all my neighbors know what I do and any new call about suspicious behavior is simply not investigated. Most of the city officers has been here at one time or another know what I do. If you are legit, like I am, you are proud to show the officers what you do and show them a nice shiny piece of gold or silver. It's only when you are not legit that you have to worry about the police.

How did those visits go? Are there recommendations that you would have for those expecting their first visit?

I'm thinking a folder with MSDS of all chemicals, PPE, tour of fume handling, exhaust, scrubbing, waste processing, etc.

Inviting out for coffee & donuts ahead of time? (seriously considering this, new to area, rural police force in literally the "safest township" in the state.

It may sound goofy, but the only reason I'm hesitant to do the invite is because I have a pair of ducks. The keeping of poultry on residential land, with the exception of 4 chickens, is not allowed....and I don't want them to make me get rid of my daughters ducks. Ok, they are mine, but I like my little dudes.

I would say that discretion is the better part of valor. Don't ask for problems but don't be afraid if your not breaking the law. Local police is not worried about what your doing unless it's obviously dangerous to you or others. If you keep your containers covered and out of sight, they should have little reason to pay much attention short of nosy neighbors and there's really no way to escape that. You may invite the neighbors over and explain what your doing and that you have studied and plan on being very safe. Even this approach can be chancy. If you have fences, I would forgo that much. The biggest hassle you can get is code enforcement. Trash, open containers, old tires, batteries on the ground, Anything that can trap rain water is all a big no-no and you can expect the enforcement officer to find more than the obvious if things are not on the up and up.

As far as the times I was checked, the refining was never an issue. I was cited for open buckets and a pile of electronics covered by a tarp and my electrical supply was not up to code. I had to redo the electrical from the service pole all the way to the breaker box. My father had done his own work twenty years before I acquired the property. The utility meter reader checked the meter every month and never said a thing. When the first raid happened, they brought every agency they could including code enforcement. They disconnected the power that day and I had to bring everything up to city code and have it inspected before they would turn the power back on. I am not even in the city limits but I am in the police jurisdiction.

I believe in one of his posts Rouge mentioned that so far he had pulled about a pound of Gold and few kgs of Silver from his 5 Metric ton pile, once again, a few pictures would sure convince us quickly. Or is he the only Millenial on the planet not taking pictures of everything ?

kernels said:
I believe in one of his posts Rouge mentioned that so far he had pulled about a pound of Gold and few kgs of Silver from his 5 Metric ton pile, once again, a few pictures would sure convince us quickly. Or is he the only Millenial on the planet not taking pictures of everything ?

He also mentioned a metric tonne, getting concentrated to 600lbs with ap... ...then said 5 tonnes? Or was it 6?

Geo said:
As far as the times I was checked, the refining was never an issue. I was cited for open buckets and a pile of electronics covered by a tarp and my electrical supply was not up to code. I had to redo the electrical from the service pole all the way to the breaker box. My father had done his own work twenty years before I acquired the property. The utility meter reader checked the meter every month and never said a thing. When the first raid happened, they brought every agency they could including code enforcement. They disconnected the power that day and I had to bring everything up to city code and have it inspected before they would turn the power back on. I am not even in the city limits but I am in the police jurisdiction.

Yeah...the last thing I need is someone coming in and telling me to bring things to code. That would be an instant bankruptcy!

Today however, I feel amazing....looked over at the neighbor, whom I'm yet to introduce myself to, and there she sat, with two ducks.

What am I actually reading? :L:A:W:L:
But seriously..... You may wanna pause on chemistry, and re-evaluate.

orbit?! jet stream?!...dream on!... how old? 13?

Ok, I read this (lots of time, vacation here). Now, you finally convinced me, you don't know, what you are doing and what people like you do, is the main reason why chemicals are getting harder available, more regulated and monitored - for a good reason, I have to admit.

I am not impressed at all. It is not funny, nor can I see any value in this massive waste of 30 minutes of my lifetime.
I found it valuable. Everybody loves gold. Very few people like chemistry. And when you don't know what you don't know but you know you're gonna go after some gold it is extremely easy to do anything he just explained. I wasn't that bad not even close but blind gold fever gets everyone. If it wasn't for gold, chemistry could off. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I found it valuable. Everybody loves gold. Very few people like chemistry. And when you don't know what you don't know but you know you're gonna go after some gold it is extremely easy to do anything he just explained. I wasn't that bad not even close but blind gold fever gets everyone. If it wasn't for gold, chemistry could off. lol

Everything is valuable if you can learn something out of it.

The thing is I loved chemistry in school up until i`ve got a d.ck teacher who made me hate chemistry because of him(bullying)....And now because of this forum i started to reignite my interest for chemistry and i have learned more from this forum than i have ever imagined.

Life is a constant learning path.

Back