Siver cell leftover electrolyte

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will use these 162 grams recovered from the electrolyte in the new test in the a.m.

Attachments

• 162 Grams.jpg
    162 Grams.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
4metals, should I use 1ml of HNO3 per gram with an equal amount of distilled for the electrolyte, I will be using the recommended amount of 110 grams to round off, or, should I add very small increments of HNO3 / distilled until there is just a small trace of Ag left ?

To dissolve your silver yes, then dilute that to around 60 grams of silver per liter of water. Silver cells are pretty forgiving though.

4metals, should I use 1ml of HNO3 per gram with an equal amount of distilled for the electrolyte, I will be using the recommended amount of 110 grams to round off, or, should I add very small increments of HNO3 / distilled until there is just a small trace of Ag left ?
Per the bold print - how much acid you use to dissolve a given amount of metal will depend A LOT on the conditions involved in dissolving the metal

I have posted about this many times here on the forum because there have been so many times when the question of -"how much acid does it take to dissolve X amount of metal" --- & then someone will answer with - "it TAKES X ml of acid to dissolve X grams of metal - or - You NEED X ml acid to dissolve X grams metal"

There is no such thing as - it takes - or - you need --- X amount acid to dissolve X amount metal because in fact the amount of metal that can/will dissolve with the acid you are using will very GREATLY depending on the conditions you employ when dissolving metal with acid

Though this is a long post - after reading it - you should have a very clear understanding of the role conditions play in dissolving metal with acid & how you can use those conditions to your advantage - the advantage being - using less acid to dissolve more metal

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...per-in-sterling-nitric-qty.29286/#post-308691
Kurt

Thanks kurtak, I am using technical grade 70% HNO3 and am going to use my harvested crystals, I will back off a bit and see what transpires.

Thanks kurtak, I am using technical grade 70% HNO3 and am going to use my harvested crystals, I will back off a bit and see what transpires.
Gwar - I see the link I post to goes to "the short answer"

The "long answer" (in that link) is posted after that short answer - you want to read that "long answer" so scroll down to my next post after the answer the link takes you to

Kurt

When I have a heavily laded electrolyte I tend to run a refinement by crystallization.
As long as most of the solution Is silver nitrate it will crystallise out of a reduced solution quite easily.
This can then be returned to work in your cell.
The remainder of the liqueur which is high in impurities can be processed for P.G.M and silver.
Saves a little acid.

When I have a heavily laded electrolyte I tend to run a refinement by crystallization.
As long as most of the solution Is silver nitrate it will crystallise out of a reduced solution quite easily.
This can then be returned to work in your cell.
The remainder of the liqueur which is high in impurities can be processed for P.G.M and silver.
Saves a little acid.
Nice lifehack.

UPDATE: I started with 106gms of Ag crystals, I added 50ml each of HNO3 and distilled, after a bit I added another 50ml HNO3 / Distilled my HNO3 wasn't reacting to well at dissolving, so I added 25ml of HNO3/ distilled and had to add exactly 2gms of AG and all action ceased, I was confident that the nitric was used up completely, I filtered the substance through the Buchner funnel after it was cool and added the mixture to a 2 liter bottle with distilled water to about 2/3's full, after setting up the cell and running it for 8-10 hours the liquid is still clear and I have had to add a bit of the cell solution to take into account for evaporation and usage, it seems to be running smooth enough, I was using the following settings on the power source, it seems to work best at crystal growth at the low end of voltage, the basket eventually had a small hole in the holding bag, which I had to replace. I am wondering if I set up the next cell with everything a bit bigger, (Bowl, Electrolyte, etc;) if my crystal growth will increase in size, on a side question, has anyone ever used a small air tube device on a timer switch to circulate the electrolyte a few times an hour ?

TimeVoltsAmpsWatts
3:30 p.m.23.737.3
4:00 p.m.3.26.1519.5
4:15 p.m.1.12.282.5
7:00 p.m.1.111.882
9:15 p.m.23.637.2

Attachments

• 1 106 grams.JPG
    1 106 grams.JPG
    904.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 1b 8 hours in.JPG
    1b 8 hours in.JPG