Sodium bisulfite

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHARLIE GREENLER

Who sells sodium bisulfite ?Can I get it delivered to a P.O. Box ? Is there some way to make it ? Can I use sodium bisulfate instead , if all of my metals are co-mingled in AR ? Is there a better precipitant to use if I have gold,silver,platnum,palladium ,iridium,osmium,and all the regular alloying agents for these metals in mixed electronics = pins,contacts,conectors,and parts-n- pieces as a saturated soution in AR ( 4 cups muriatic = 1 cup nitric made from sodium nitrate and sulfuric)???????

CHARLIE GREENLER said:
Who sells sodium bisulfite ?
I get mine at chemistrystore.com

CHARLIE GREENLER said:
Can I get it delivered to a P.O. Box ?
I doubt it, but I'm not certain.

CHARLIE GREENLER said:
Is there some way to make it ?
As far as I know, not as cheap as you can buy it.

CHARLIE GREENLER said:
Can I use sodium bisulfate instead , if all of my metals are co-mingled in AR ?
No, not even if you only have gold in the solution.

CHARLIE GREENLER said:
Is there a better precipitant to use if I have gold,silver,platnum,palladium ,iridium,osmium,and all the regular alloying agents for these metals in mixed electronics = pins,contacts,conectors,and parts-n- pieces as a saturated soution in AR ( 4 cups muriatic = 1 cup nitric made from sodium nitrate and sulfuric)???????
Silver will not dissolve in AR solutions to any extent, nor will Iridium unless it's alloyed down with Pt. Hoke covers separation of the primary precious metals from AR solutions.

Steve

Man that'a ballsy. You state about things with palladium, platinum, ruthenium and every thing else and make it sound like you can process materials. :twisted:

And then you want to recover values from a procedure that is ill advised here on the forum.

Let your solution settle.
Siphon off liquid after 3 days.
Process sediments for PM's
To the solution you siphoned off dilute it by 1/2 with tap water and let solution settle till no more cloudyness.
Let the solution settle and then siphion off and process the sediment that is silver chloride into silver metal.
test your solution and if it contains gold let it set out side and evaporate some of the water off or evaporate it off.
Drop your gold with SMB.
Reprocess your gold.

I got mine from the Chemistrystore.com also. Its not considered a hazardous material, but they are picky about addresses.......I don't think they will ship to PO boxes.....must be a "brick and mortar" address. By the way, I tried Sodium BIsulfate (Edit by Steve) myself without getting any advise from the forum, and it WILL NOT work.....must be SMB. I had a mess on my hands. Use the forum.
-Mingo-

Edited: Bisulfite changed to Bisulfate Steve

Mingo said:
By the way, I tried Sodium BIsulfite myself without getting any advise from the forum, and it WILL NOT work.....must be SMB. I had a mess on my hands

Sodium bisulfite should have worked fine.

Really? I tried twice with no results, but I am new and still learning; I've read both answers in the forum, yea and nay, after that I ordered Sodium Metabisulfite, and have had no other issues. Thanks for setting me straight....I kept that solution to revisit later.

Most that have problems make the mistake of getting a sulfate instead of a sulfite. I use sodium metabisulfite dry, however sodium bisulfite releases SO2 gas as well.

I got a pound of mine for 10 bucks on ebay - delivered
then I found some at a wine making store
and yes get sulfite - when I was first looking I would forget if it was sulfite or sulfate - to remember it I would think it's all about me and what I want.

Make sure the I Is In the word or a pIrate will come and poke you In the eye

Oh yeah I would hate to end up with my silver exploding.Yes precip one thing at a time and get the silver out first .Its just all too mixed up to sort out but I might try to do this in batches.I have 50 pounds of all metal clean (no plastic ect..;.;).I was hiting the coaxal conectors with a torch (making dore)and selling to secured gold buyers (9 to 10 kt).I might send it all to THE GOLD BUYER in Texas and skip refining it myself.Its not desolved yet and I know about poring off to collect things that dont desolve,and the iridium is with platnum= (some old mill spec diodes).I will ponder the removal as silver chloride in order to process ,I have to look at my stuff ,I could process with niteric and get silver nitrate ,I guess either way its a pain in the butt.Your way sounds less toxic ,nice!!!!

I would forget if it was sulfite or sulfate
Well fellows, I'm confused now.....which is it; sulfate or sulfite? Sorry for the nit-picking, but I know the chemistry matters......what I used and didn't work was Sodium BiSulFITE. Anyway, I've got the SMB now, but I know how confusing it can be. Thanks for your patience--Mingo--

Maybe as STUPM-OUT by Bonide would be easier for you to remember, for now. :lol: You find it @ Home-Depot, for about $5.00 a lb. Eventually you should know it by SMB, sodioum metabisulfite. It just takes a little time.

Take care!

Phil

philddreamer said:
Maybe as STUPM-OUT by Bonide would be easier for you to remember, for now. :lol: You find it @ Home-Depot, for about $5.00 a lb. Eventually you should know it by SMB, sodioum metabisulfite. It just takes a little time.

Take care!

Phil

Stump-Out

Stump Out.gif
Word!

joem said:
and yes get sulfite - when I was first looking I would forget if it was sulfite or sulfate - to remember it I would think it's all about me and what I want.

Could you please cut this out. Or carry it some place else.

Barren Realms 007 said:
joem said:

Could you please cut this out. Or carry it some place else.

Would dot matrix be a better choice for you? Sheesh I was only re-enforcing the I in sodium metabisulfite.
We all learn in different ways.

Back