Sodium bisulfite

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK sodium bisulfate wont work at all (understood).The stupm out I will look for.Only sodium metabisulfite works (understood).I am sure I wouldnt be able to get hydrasine I herard thats the best.I have oxalic for the last precip if I choose to use it.I still might just give up 30% of the yeild and send it all to Texas or someone else,this is a hard decision to make.Hydrochloric has worked for me in the past to drop silver but that was silver ,lead ,and gallena disolved in AR ( YES IT DESOLVED THE SILVER )then I would throw in 1/2 a cup of HCL and the silver would come up like cotage cheese .I need to get a digital camera so I can post pictures.I make real AR but I will try the HCL /CL AND/OR THE HCL/PEROXIDE (pore mans AR).THANK YOUTHANK YOU ,THANK YOU

THE HCL/PEROXIDE (pore mans AR).

Charlie this is often referred to here as AP, it's not poormans AR. It is used on copper base metals such as card edge fingers. Under some conditions it can dissolve gold and it usually requires a copper saturation to get it back.

Thanks Guys,Barren?? Do you think it is safe to add that much water to Acids? or would the saturation of metal prevent an accident?You know what???? I am going to send this stuff to a refiner in texas or florida.I know it will cost me 30% of the yeild but I can let you all know the outcome.I might even split it in 1/2 and send to 2 places and compare yeilds .Nothing binding twards them ofcoarse.I will use my chems on karat gold and gold fill from the yard sales and thrift stores.Thanks for helping the other day I got 6 grams of italian 14 kt for 5 dollars and sold it 3 hours later for 78 dollars.Well on my way to check out the cheapest price on STUMP GONE SODIUM DISULFITE.I will try to learn the chems you mentioned,I had a bad experience with pool acid and bleach once ,seriously it was almost the last breath I ever took.Could some one explain to me the science behind the reaction of acid that is brought to a boil or why it can be so unpredictable and just start boiling like crazy even when removed from a low heat after it bearly starts to form bubbles.I have always wonderd about its complexities.Why are acids so tempermental twards heat ??? (I am guessing the gases in them).

Cool ,sulfuric will reclaim the lead.Thank you I can realy use that its going in my note book.If you guys are interested when you look at electronics solders ,the ones that seam to be more like welds could be platnum bearing.My father worked for ITT FEDERAL ELECTRIC CORPERATION and he used alot of platnum bearing solders,eppecialy in Millitary spec equipment.

CHARLIE GREENLER said:
Could some one explain to me the science behind the reaction of acid that is brought to a boil or why it can be so unpredictable and just start boiling like crazy even when removed from a low heat after it bearly starts to form bubbles.I have always wonderd about its complexities.Why are acids so tempermental twards heat ??? (I am guessing the gases in them).

Metals in acid can be slow to start but generate heat quickly just from the reaction. Water can help control this run away reaction.

You do know you must slowly add your acid to a measured quantity of water? Water added to concentrated acid can release enough heat to cause steam explosions.

Hey Charlie, check out this free download of "open office" if you use the google toolbar it has a spell check button.

http://download.services.openoffice.org/files/stable/3.2.1/OOo_3.2.1_Win_x86_install-wJRE_en-US.exe

Charlie wrote: I had a bad experience with pool acid and bleach once ,seriously it was almost the last breath I ever took.

Knowing what to expect before you mix strong chemicals can be a life saver. Chlorine gas can be deadly!

CHARLIE GREENLER said:
Cool ,sulfuric will reclaim the lead..

It doesn't reclaim lead. it turns it into a solid that can then be filtered out of what you are after.

CHARLIE GREENLER said:
Thank you I can realy use that its going in my note book.If you guys are interested when you look at electronics solders ,the ones that seam to be more like welds could be platnum bearing.My father worked for ITT FEDERAL ELECTRIC CORPERATION and he used alot of platnum bearing solders,eppecialy in Millitary spec equipment.

I don't know what your father worked on but platinum brazing alloys likely melt at way to high of a temperature to even apply to a circuit board.

CHARLIE GREENLER said:
Cool ,sulfuric will reclaim the lead.Thank you I can realy use that its going in my note book.If you guys are interested when you look at electronics solders ,the ones that seam to be more like welds could be platnum bearing.My father worked for ITT FEDERAL ELECTRIC CORPERATION and he used alot of platnum bearing solders,eppecialy in Millitary spec equipment.

There is a solder that is named platinum but it doesn't contain any platinum.

http://www.precisealloys.com/msds/MSDS-PLATINUM.pdf

There were probably an older product with only tin and lead back in the days when it was okay to use lead in solder.

/Göran

Latest posts

Back