Sodium Metabisulfite Laboratory Or Industrial

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmzhr

Mohammad Mazaheri
Hello Friends

I Have Important Question

I Used Laboratory SMB And Gold Sediment Sticked Together

But When I Used Industrial SMB Gold Sediment Floated In Solution !

SMB Purity is 97%

What is Wrong With Industrial SMB !?

Were both gold bearing solutions identical prior to performing the precipitations? Is it possible that there was some other variable that affected the precipitation when you used the industrial grade SMB?

And when you say "Gold Sediment Floated In Solution", do you mean small shiny gold crystals on the surface?

Were both gold bearing solutions identical prior to performing the precipitations? Is it possible that there was some other variable that affected the precipitation when you used the industrial grade SMB?

And when you say "Gold Sediment Floated In Solution", do you mean small shiny gold crystals on the surface?
yes indentical i splited gold solution in 2 beaker

laboratory smb gives solid sediment

but industrial smb gives floating sediment

it is wierd i bought both smb from one manufacturer

stannous chloride test show no gold in solution that mean all gold precipitated

What does a stannous test say on the solution with floating precipitate? Is the gold really out of solution?
And are you sure the industrial grade SMB is -sulfite and not -sulfate?

i mean float in bottom like silver but i dont have silver in solution
We may have a language problem here. When you first said the gold floats, I expected it was at the top surface of the solution and would not settle. But now I think you mean that the gold is finely divided and light. It slowly settles to the bottom of the beaker, but it is easily disturbed and takes a while to settle again. Is that right?

Dave

test is clear that means all gold precipitated

yes i'm sure

it is Metabisulfite Sodium (Na2S2O5)

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    314.6 KB · Views: 8
We may have a language problem here. When you first said the gold floats, I expected it was at the top surface of the solution and would not settle. But now I think you mean that the gold is finely divided and light. It slowly settles to the bottom of the beaker, but it is easily disturbed and takes a while to settle again. Is that right?

Dave
sorry for bad language spell

yes it slowly settles to the bottom but when i washed with hot water it settled fast

one beaker sediment is solid but other beaker sediment gold float at bottom

both sediments are brown

i asked manufacturer and they responded smb purity is 97%

i want to be sure it is gold sediment not silver

because gold is heavy and settles fast but silver float at bottom

i dont have silver in solution

if it is silver why color is brown ?

It is not silver. Just very fine gold particles.
Let it settle and then remove excess liquid, then wash with HCL and then boil with water.
It should be clumping up and get more solid.
Some add a bit of sulfuric acid and boil, it should aggregate some to bigger particles as well.

Silver nor gold should "float" on the bottom. Sometimes very fine precipitate is created and settling time is very long. Just cover the vessel and give it time to settle properly. This could take hours to days. When the suspension is properly settled, siphon the liquid using a plastic tube. Do not suck the liquid with your mouth (!!) and instead use vacuum or fill the tubing with water firstly. If the suspension is very light and "floaty", classic decanting (pouring the liquid off) would not work well.

Take Yggdrasil´s advice and after siphoning the liquid, wash with acidic solution to clump the powder together. If you use HCl, there is advantage of silver removal. Also when you wash with warm/hot ammonia solution - it remove silver and copper contamination.

If you think you have silver in the precipitate (in form of AgCl), carefully dilute the solution with ice cold water (double or triple the volume) and filter to obtain crystal clear liquid. No opalescence or merkyness.

It is not silver. Just very fine gold particles.
Let it settle and then remove excess liquid, then wash with HCL and then boil with water.
It should be clumping up and get more solid.
Some add a bit of sulfuric acid and boil, it should aggregate some to bigger particles as well.
Thanks

Silver nor gold should "float" on the bottom. Sometimes very fine precipitate is created and settling time is very long. Just cover the vessel and give it time to settle properly. This could take hours to days. When the suspension is properly settled, siphon the liquid using a plastic tube. Do not suck the liquid with your mouth (!!) and instead use vacuum or fill the tubing with water firstly. If the suspension is very light and "floaty", classic decanting (pouring the liquid off) would not work well.

Take Yggdrasil´s advice and after siphoning the liquid, wash with acidic solution to clump the powder together. If you use HCl, there is advantage of silver removal. Also when you wash with warm/hot ammonia solution - it remove silver and copper contamination.

If you think you have silver in the precipitate (in form of AgCl), carefully dilute the solution with ice cold water (double or triple the volume) and filter to obtain crystal clear liquid. No opalescence or merkyness.
thanks

Back