solder mask removal

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbaldwin75

i was wondering if sodium hydroxide, or brake fluid, would be best for removing the solder mask (read in a previous post that it works)?, and, could i use a plain old 5 gal plastic bucket to do it in? any helpis greatly apreciated

Brake fluid does not work for most types of solder mask. I tried it on 5 different types of solder masked boards that I had on hand. Worked fair on one of the 5 and then did not really remove it. Only softened it and I still had to scrape most of the solder mask off.

Try the old fashion lye or sodium hydroxide. What I have found best is a 16 oz can in 3 gallons of fairly hot water. In an older post, someone mentioned adding salt, so I tried by adding about 1/2 cup of rock salt and it appeared to help. Works great on the older RAM cards that I had and there was no solder mask left on the boards.

Get an old broom stick to stir the mix two or three times a day for a few days. I have found only one strange board that I have not been able to remove the solder mask from.

Caution using the sodium hydroxide as it is dangerous stuff if you are not careful. I put a plastic lid on my bucket and keep it between me and the top of the bucket as I work. That plus all of the other safety items that are needed.

It's very important for you to know that a single drop of lye can blind you, so be certain to wear adequate eye protection. Lye is very unforgiving if it gets in your eyes.

Harold

I hvae just started to remove the SM with lye.
I have many boards that it does not touch.
What may be the cause of that?

Also if you get lye on you. just grab some vinegar and rinse. It neutralizes it.

Back