Sooo....You wannaa buy a metal detector ehh !!!!!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eeTHr, Thank you; for the detailed instructions they are greatly, appreciated!! as well as all the other information provided on this forum..the more plain and simple that answers are posted ,the better for me at least.. Would you possibly be familiar with the specific model of detector I have got : MP3 PRO Digital.
HI-POWER MICROPROCESSOR DETECTION
That is what is says on the manual, Also, there is no ground balance adjustment manually available with this unit.View attachment 1

61 silverman;

No, I'm not familiar with that model.

If there is no ground balance control, it is either set at the factory or has automatic ground balancing. If automatic, it may have instructions for resetting the self-compensating ground balance circuitry, if not then it is set for optimum performance on average soils.

I see that it has sensivity and discrimination controls, though, so you can probably eliminate excess "chatter" with those.

Yes they made it a bit less chirppy, I really need too get out and use it more and get some more hands on experience.A lot more !!I believe it is a 2008 model showroom clearance discount..$ 500. plus retail web site said.. More playing with it is what I need... Thanks for the info....Mark

Of all the metal detectors on the market, Pulse Induction are the highest priced, Why - because they work.

I think this may have been written a little prematurely.Its not a matter of if this one works or if that one works........they all work.99% of the time a PI machine will pick up a target a little smaller and a little deeper than a VLF machine.And 99% of the time it will be trash!PI machines lack any type of accurate discrimination circuit.Of course there are exceptions to every rule.The garrett unfinium is one of those.It is technically a PI machine,but sends multiple frequencies out and processes the info coming back,similar to radar or sonar.Still lacks a very good descrimination,but is much better than normal PI machines.
A VLF machine is the best "all around" detector,simply because you can adjust the discrimination to accomodate,where you are,and what you are targetting.
If I absolutletly had to recommend a specific detector........I couldn't.I know too many people that detect in too many different scenarios.What works for me will not work well for someone hunting flakes and fines in northern arizona.The best machine for that would be a SD or GP series minelab.But neither of those would work for me seeing how Im on the beach on a daily basis.So we all can speculate from now until god comes back,but the truth is,saying this detector or that detector is the best,is like saying one particular car is the best.Its all contingent on the conditions in which it will be used.Driving the autobahn?Get a porsche,ferrari,lamborghini........taking kids to school?Minivan....you get the idea.
So that being said,My personal all around best pick for a detector,would be any vlf with audio ID,turn the descrimination down,and get used to the sounds.99 out of 100 times I can tell the difference between any coin.The only problem is nickle/gold.....they both sound identical.
Johnny

From what I have read at the http://thunting.com forum, it boils down to coil size used on your detector, larger coils cover more ground but only find the larger objects passing over coins and rings.

While smaller coils the operator covers less ground but finds the smaller objects, coins, rings and gold nuggets.

Has anyone here used the toner transfer method from laser printer for masking a PC board before etching the circuits. An alternative to ferric chloride for an etchent HCL with Hydrogen Peroxide sound familiar.

The parts for my Gary PI have arrived, I'm making a half dozen PC boards and will have a couple of spares should anyone be interested in making his/her own pulse induction metal detector.Give me a holler.

If you prefer to make your own. The uploaded overlay used for the laser transfer, the image has already been mirrored, just print it out on your laser printer onto glossy photo paper of a glossy from any magazine once printed iron the image onto a clean copper. Then use an etchent of your choice

How-To: Etch a single sided PCB
http://hackaday.com/2008/07/28/how-to-etch-a-single-sided-pcb/

I've tried the toner transfer with an iron a few times.

The problem areas are large dark areas ( ground planes) and very thin lines. You want to set your printer to print in the darkest contrast setting so as to get the thickest toner coverage.

The transfer stage requires the heat to be applied very evenly and at the right temperature for the mask to transfer to the board. It takes a few tries to get the hang of it so plan on making a few trial runs before you get a good usable transfer.

Steve

Hi all, my name is Jimmy Pearce a newbie to this site but not to prospecting & metal detecting, if I may I can shed a little light on the subject, here are a few things to remember when buying a metal detector 1.buy a detector that can be used for your area, check around, the mineraization in your area most likely will be different from what you see others claim when espousing the features of their machine/brand.2. What are you looking to find? relics, coins, gold nuggets, depending on the what? is going to determine which unit or units you can accomplish your goal.3. read,read,read your manual, practice, practice,practice, have more patience than you ever thought you had.4. don't believe all the hype about brands, you can go to a dealer and they will test or show you what the basics are and do some comparisons for you on each brand they sell. 5. An experienced detector operator will find more with a bad detector than a novice will with the most expensive detector, the rule of thumb is 90% operator 10% detector (of course there is beginners luck). 6. a coin,relic detector is usually not the best choice for hunting/finding natural gold and the reverse is also true if using a gold detector.7. cheap is as cheap does, usually anything under 150.00 is not gonna satisfy you if youre serious, but 4,500. is waaaay to much imho unless your have advanced to the professional level and can consistantly find a cpl of thousand worth of whatever your'e searching for each month.8.vlf are good allround detectors, most have waterproff search coils but not control boxes. pi are better overall but have a steeper learning curve but again check on the waterproofness of coils and electronics box. There are a million opinions on this subject so take them all with a grain of salt and do some research, I have been metaldetecting, prospecting since 1980, I have 200 acres of leased gold mining claims in Alaska and I hunt the beaches here in n.c in the winter (the best time) can't even remember all the diff. types detectors I have had/used but here is my current list for what it's worth- coin hunting Nautilus dmc2 by tyndall electronics,fisher 212-x, garrett 250, use the same for relic hunting. For gold nuggets I have a whites MXT w/all the diff search coils(best overall machine I have ever used) and a Garrett Infinium PI whic is water proof totally to 200 ft deep, this is the deepest seeking unit I have ever used and the best for high mineralization in gold country. Good luck and don't buy the first detector you run across unless you know for sure it will do what you expect.

lazersteve said:
You've got me really wanting to go buy one of those babies!

By the way I noticed your handle is Silver-Ag Gold-Au Pl-? and Rh-Rhodium.... What chemical is Pl ... Platinum is Pt, Plutonium is Pu, so what is Pl? : :p
Probably a typo... Noxx can probably fix that seein how he's the admin and all. :wink:
Steve[/qu
Hey Steve, PI are round and filled with peaches !!!

Eaglewings35,

PI, in this thread, is Pulse Induction. Pi is the circumference of a circle divided by the diameter. Pie is a pastry. Please do not dredge up an eight year old thread unless you have something to add to the conversation. Yes, I am rude. Thank you for noticing.

I do a lot of beach hunting. Last 2 weekends produced a 22k gold & platinum rings.

Its a fun hobby, even better when I can get a ring back to the person.
20170827_223653.jpg20170820_1537022.jpg

What's the maximum depth of detection of a portable model, approximately?.

Are there really small ones that can fit a deep hole drilled on soil?. i.e.: To determine if it is worth digging in there?.

I'm more interested in detection effectiveness than in discrimination, because I'll be using the detector in a placer or over gold bearing quartz rocks. What type fits these needs better?.

Thanks in advance.

cuchugold said:
What's the maximum depth of detection of a portable model, approximately?.

Are there really small ones that can fit a deep hole drilled on soil?. i.e.: To determine if it is worth digging in there?.

I'm more interested in detection effectiveness than in discrimination, because I'll be using the detector in a placer or over gold bearing quartz rocks. What type fits these needs better?.

Thanks in advance.

Most of the experts on metal detecting hang out at Treasure Net http://www.treasurenet.com/ You would probably want the detector and a separate handheld probe for pin pointing within your holes.

When you make your choice, please let us know what you bought and why

Good luck! :D

James

cuchugold said:
1. What's the maximum depth of detection of a portable model, approximately?.

2. Are there really small ones that can fit a deep hole drilled on soil?. i.e.: To determine if it is worth digging in there?.

Thanks in advance.

1. Varies greatly between sites/places. In my area, if you get 20 cm, that's great. Using a VLF.
For deep gold nuggets, you want a PI (pulse induction) machine. Look up minelab's range of gold detectors!
However, the use for a PI on very small gold is troublesome. So there's that drawback.

2. Probably. But the detected depth is limited, actually testing the drilled soil might be more efficient.

Eu_citzen said:
1. Varies greatly between sites/places. In my area, if you get 20 cm, that's great. Using a VLF.
For deep gold nuggets, you want a PI (pulse induction) machine. Look up minelab's range of gold detectors!
However, the use for a PI on very small gold is troublesome. So there's that drawback.

2. Probably. But the detected depth is limited, actually testing the drilled soil might be more efficient.
Thanks Eu, testing the drilled soil is a great idea, similar to coring, but cheaper. I will test the area next month. Biggest challenge is the hard rock. I'm thinking of leasing a gravimeter.

cuchugold said:
Eu_citzen said:

Thanks Eu, testing the drilled soil is a great idea, similar to coring, but cheaper. I will test the area next month. Biggest challenge is the hard rock. I'm thinking of leasing a gravimeter.

Indeed. Don't forget to mark samples and results, either on a map or in a GIS program.

Hard rock can be troublesome, but I'm not sure a gravimeter will do what you want it to do.
I'd start of by looking into the geological survey of your country, if they have any geology maps available.

Then have someone knowledgeable interpret the maps, which may or may not give you pointers.
"magnetic maps" (=Magnetometer) can aid in locating potentially ore-forming faults, shear zones etc.

Another option to consider might be a resistivity survey of one form or another.
IP (induced Polarization) perhaps? Look them up.

That all said, common sense will get you quite far. Good luck!

Thanks Eu. Deano already told me about the gravimeter and its non practicality in this situation. I think the metal detectors will work just fine.

Back