Sreetips filters?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently have zen pore filters. Slow medium and fast. I have used whataman.

120mm buchner funnel. There is a very small gap.l where the filter ends and the wall of the funnel begins and stuff will work its way between that. It's only a minor amount. But overtime it adds up.
The vacuum from the pump should seal that.
You use vacuum right?

When using a Büchner funnel it is key to wet the filter first, before adding your solution.

Set up your flask and funnel, apply vacuum, spray a mist of water over the filter, add your solution.

With out wetting the filter before hand some “trash” will find its way between the filter and funnel. This is assuming you’re using quality filters that fit your funnel correctly.

I am using a vacuum pump. I do mist it beforehand to let it seal better. I have a 120mm funnel with 110mm filters. And bigger of filter I would be unable to fit them in. I am new to vacuum filtration. I've always use coffee filter and normal funnels.

Maybe I'm just miss understanding something. Still would like to find them big ones like sreetips

Not only do I mist the buchner funnel I also give it a few sprays of water on the top of the filter paper once it's in place.
The only time anything gets by is if my pump sucks a hole in the paper.

I have watched most of his videos and I have tried searching forum. Forgive me I am sure this has been answered somewhere and I am missing it. Where does he find the big filters. I have correct sized filters for buchner funnel however some powder gets around the sides.

120mm funnel is what I use currently.

He has like big coffee style filters with flat bottom.

Skip to 16:07 to see how he makes his special filters....Like & subscribe to his channel.

I am using a vacuum pump. I do mist it beforehand to let it seal better. I have a 120mm funnel with 110mm filters. And bigger of filter I would be unable to fit them in. I am new to vacuum filtration. I've always use coffee filter and normal funnels.

Maybe I'm just miss understanding something. Still would like to find them big ones like sreetips
Do you use coffe filters in the Buchner?

120 mm Büchner funnel should have 120mm filter paper. I have cut larger papers to size in the past when I found them on sale at a good price. Some of the very fine pore papers can run cheaper for the large ones than for the smaller sized of the same type.

Large coffee filters can be purchased at food service outlets like GFS, there are also iced tea brewer filters which are larger than food service coffee filters and cover large strainers well. The correct sized Buchner funnel filter paper is only a Google search away.

If decide to buy filter rounds for vacuum filtration, you have to be careful with the Slow flow filters. Slow flow or tiny pore size can fail easily under a high vacuum once they're loaded up.. That's one of the reasons I don't vacuum filter very much.

The 4 different types of filters I use

- Cotton makeup removers or cotton balls. These are great for cone funnels. The catch everything. Just push them in.

- Coffee Filters have a pour size of around 20 u (microns).

- Paper filters. These have a pour size 10 u and up.

- Filber Glass filters have pour size of about 0.2 u to about 2.0 u.

The problem with all cotton or paper filters are they don't handle acid well. Filber glass filters are made out of ... Glass. If you can use a glass beaker, you can use a glass filter. They even make borosilicate filters. Example. Amazon. Omicron 133047 borosilicate.

With bushner filters once the filter is in place, spray it with water to make the filter stick.

If you want to create a cup, like a coffee filter, use a 150 mm filter, push it in dry, make sure there are no gaps. Then spray it with water and re-inspect.

The are 2 main types of filters: Quantitative and Qualitative. The quantitative are flow faster flows as compared with other filters of the same type.

I have watched most of his videos and I have tried searching forum. Forgive me I am sure this has been answered somewhere and I am missing it. Where does he find the big filters. I have correct sized filters for buchner funnel however some powder gets around the sides.

120mm funnel is what I use currently.

He has like big coffee style filters with flat bottom.
He has a video where he shows how he prepares his filters.

The glass frit filters and some of the fiberglass ones can be cleaned and reused. As for the manual labor of refining filtering can often be over looked in importance.

I enjoy this community. Ask 1 question and then everyone goes off on different issues and solutions. It is helpful cause it'll answer other questions not asked. I really appreciate all if the feedback.

I haven't watched all of his videos I guess I will try to find the one where he makes his own. Guess I'll use a big coffee filter with a filter disc at the bottom.

And if you have a 120mm buchner funnel then try to fit 120mm filter disc it'll be to big.

Thank you everyone for all the information.

I haven't watched all of his videos I guess I will try to find the one where he makes his own. Guess I'll use a big coffee filter with a filter disc at the bottom.

Did you not watch Sreetips video that was posted in this thread a little further up. I know it says "gold plated silver jewelry", but skip to 16 minutes an 7 seconds. He is very detailed on how he makes them.

Oh snap. I completely missed that. Sometimes the ads on this website overlap or overwhelm and I miss things. Thanks man much appreciated.

I find new tricks in his video's from time to time... great channel.

I'm sure you wouldn't need 2 Buchner funnels to make them, just something that fits into the other.

Trying to buy the correct size filter circles used to confuses me with the whole cm/mm thing...I think I finally figured it out though.

Back