stainless screen with Sulfuric Cell?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidncbrown

So, Steve's video of the sulfuric cell operation is super helpful. The only question I have is: Why does he sell a stainless screen on his website? If I were to use the stainless screen on a cell with a bunch of pins instead of the copper would their be any difference? There just seems to be a lot of different methods to refining and even though I have read a TON in the past few days I still have questions which I have not come across the answer for yet.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=50&hilit=stainless+screen+with+Sulfuric+Cell

I prefer the copper mesh over the stainless.

I sell both copper and stainless mesh as others may feel differently.

Steve

A plastic tumbler is by far the best thing to use, but has anyone tried to put the parts in a plastic mesh basket and then stir with a metal rod that has been made the anode - or something similar. The plastic would have to be of a type that isn't affected by the sulfuric. The problem with metal screen is that it draws current preferentially to the parts, mainly because it is closer to the cathode. I know a lot of you use a metal screen but I never cared much for that idea.

Except for the teflon type plastics, I know of no plastics that will stand up well to hot concentrated sulfuric. Cold sulfuric is different. Most all concentrated sulfuric acid is shipped in Poly (HDPE) drums. HDPE is very common and all sorts of bottles, buckets, and jugs are made from it. As long as you don't use too much current and allow the solution to get too hot, I think HDPE would work fine. You shouldn't let the solution get above about 120F anyway, for other reasons.

Latest posts

Back