Stannous Chloride Dihydrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz

Hi folks,

Just got my hands on 100g of Stannous Chloride Dihydrate.

Can this white powder be turned into the liquid stannous chloride we use and if so how?

Kind Regards
Buzz

Welcome to the froum.

You will need tin metal in either recipie below for stannous chloride. I have made many batches of stannous chloride and never needed stannous chloride crystals, just the metal. I sell the pure metal on my website http://www.goldrecovery.us .

Here's the recipie uisng stannous chloride crystals:

Stannous chloride crystals
Pure tin metal- mossy, granular, or foil
30 - 50 cc dropper bottle
Hydrochloric Acid (31.45%)

Place a pennyweight of the tin salts into the dropper bottle.

Add a pennyweight of the pure tin metal

Fill the bottle 3/4 full of tap water

Add 25-30 drops of muriatic acid.

The above recipie comes from the book by C.M. Hoke

Here's my method from straight tin metal:

Add 1 gram of tin metal to a small flask.

Add 25 mL of muriatic acid

Gently heat the flask until the solution clears and begins fizzing.

Transfer the cooled solution with the tin metal residue into a small dropper bottle.

This solution will slowly begin weakening after the tin fully dissolves. This takes about a week or two. I just transfer the solution back to a flask and redissolve 0.25 gram of tin powder to rejuvenate the solution.

My website demonstrates this process in the 'Making Auric Chloride at Home' video in the gold section.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply.

I take it the Stannous Chloride Dihydrate powder i have is actually the crystals you mention?

Why would Hoke prescribe the crystals if they are not needed, as per your recipe?

Confused :?
Buzz

Buzz,

The tin salts are the stannous chloride crystals.

Hoke mentions both tin salts for the solution and tin metal as a perservative. The tin metal keeps the solution fresh as it slowly dissolves. Without the tin metal the solution will become inactive quicker. An inactive test solution is not reliable and can give false readings, which may cost you precious metals.

By heating HCl with tin metal you are forming tin salts. My recipie produces the stannous chloride in situ ('in place' i.e.: in the solution). This eliminates the need to stock an additional ingredient (tin salts) in the lab.

Steve

Keep the crystals sealed and in a dark spot. Keep a silica gel packet in the jar, if possible. Once they convert to stannic chloride and turn yellow, they will become more and more inactive.

A number of years ago, I aquired a few ounces of pure Tin foil.

I just put some HCL in my dropper bottle and add small quantities of Tin until it no longer dissolves. It takes a few days but that way I get a fresh solution without heating.

Tin shot or solder will take longer, but then the key element in this business is patience.

The key is to always have excess Tin metal to keep the Stannous Chloride from Oxidizing and becoming innefective.

Somewhere on the forum, someone told a story about being injured when the rubber stopper on a stannous chloride dropper bottle puffed up like a balloon and exploded, from the gas that is released when the acid dissolves the tin. This happened to me once but, I caught it before it popped. Don't seal the dropper bottle tight!!

Back