Stannous Chloride How to Make & Use - VIDEO

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kadriver

A short video on how I make my stannous chloride testing solution and how to use it to detect precious metals in solution.

kadriver

Kadriver, thank you for that excellent video. I appreciate the effort, and knowledge you shared.

The standard solutions have so little PM I was surprised. I never had made those yet, but since it is such a small amount, I know when I get my lab built, I will make the full set.

The large beaker looks ready for stock pot, unless it's from a customer. If a guess will be entertained: roughly 1/100 g. per 100 ml?

I dissolved 1/10 gram of each metal in 100ml of liquid for the standard solution as per Hoke.

I ordered the small pieces of Pt and Pd from ebay. After dissolving, both Pt and Pd solutions looked identical.

It turned out that the guy sold me TWO pieces of Pd, but called one of them Pt (it even had Pt marked on it).

When I got the actual piece of Pt from another source, it took nearly 6 hours to dissolve in HOT Aqua Regia, and it was a tiny piece!

kadriver

Very nice job on the video. One thing I will point out is, and you mention it in the video, different concentrations of gold in solution show progressively darker with higher concentrations until it appears jet black.

Since the almost black reaction with a concentrated solution is so different from what you are testing with in the video, it may be useful to show the reaction to a pregnant aqua regia solution from sweeps or karat material just for the visual learners to see the difference.

The moderators would like to thank all of the members that contributed to the original thread upon which this thread was based, as well as those that asked questions showing what was missing. Because of the extra length and interest in this thread we have created the above consolidated version making for an easier read. We encourage all members to read, comment, and ask questions in the original thread, Stannous Chloride How to make and use - Video.

The Library threads should not be considered to constitute a complete education. Instead, they're more like reading a single book on the subject of recovery and refining. There is so much more information on the forum, and it is impossible to include it all in these condensed threads. Members are strongly encouraged to read the rest of the forum to round out their education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back