stanous chloride _stannous_

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

i need help to know if the stanous chloride test indicates presence of au,pt,pd and rh in acid solutions ? or other collours formed indicates the presence of other metals-------?

Last edited by a moderator:
Arthur,

Stannous will indicate gold, pt, pd at room temperature.

Here are the color results for pure metal solutions, these may vary in intensity depending on concentration and mixtures with other precious metals:

Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 9.28.53 AM.png

Au_Pt_Pd_Stannous.jpg

Rhodium will indicate as described here:
Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 9.29.27 AM.png

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks steve,but for instance(an example)---if i have an acid solution with cobalt(platters from hd) and do the test,will the colour change or maintain as cobalt is not a pm??
------in other words my real question is:does stanous chloride give indicative colors with only precious metals or with other metals too?

I'm not sure of what all metals stannous will produce colors with. You could find out by making some standard solutions of various metals and testing each one with stannous chloride.

I do know that aqueous cobalt II solutions will go from pink to blue when chlorides are added and this color change could be induced by acidic stannous chloride.

Steve

arthur kierski said:
thanks steve,but for instance(an example)---if i have an acid solution with cobalt(platters from hd) and do the test,will the colour change or maintain as cobalt is not a pm??
------in other words my real question is:does stanous chloride give indicative colors with only precious metals or with other metals too?
According to Hoke on page 95, "Solutions containing only such base metals as iron, copper, zinc, nickel and cadmium give no color change with stannous chloride"

Latest posts

Back