Still have gold pins at the bottom of AP bucket

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrundle_the_great

Filtering my AP bucket again and noticed I still have the tiny gold pins left at the bottom. I've ran these pins through 5 batches now thinking I just didn't give the base metal to dissolve and have yet to see a change. I have no clue what they are from, they're maybe 2-3mm long amd thinner than a sewing needle. Thought maybe they were solid gold but they have a very slight magnetism to them. The first batch these were started in was 2lbs of random gold pins. Of that batch there is about 56 grams of pins im stumped on. All i have is poor man supplies (and putting anything past poor man supplies on hold until I read Hokes). Any ideas on why these won't dissolve? Also I'm kind of bored and really impatient right now and want a little gold button now! 🤣 if I'm not concerned about purity. Are there any concerns with just melting these down and making a little like 12k bar. Something that would be in my collection to show differences in purity amd what not. I've rinsed them multiple times through HCI and water as well. I should be good to melt them down right? Will try posting a picture. Let me know your opinions, thanks!

Attachments

• 20221217_181509.jpg
    20221217_181509.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221217_181526.jpg
    20221217_181526.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I doubt any of those are alloyed gold, pins are usually made to take some abuse. Gold/Alloyed would be too soft.

If some of those are fully gold plated, HcL will have a tought time getting to the base metals. Also, do you have an air bubbler pumping air into the solution?.... air helps to oxidize the base metals and keeps a circulation going so there's always fresh acid contacting the pins.

I have always found these pins a pain to dissolve, usually takes a couple weeks...at least in my case.

I doubt any of those are alloyed gold, pins are usually made to take some abuse. Gold/Alloyed would be too soft.

If some of those are fully gold plated, HcL will have a tought time getting to the base metals. Also, do you have an air bubbler pumping air into the solution?.... air helps to oxidize the base metals and keeps a circulation going so there's always fresh acid contacting the pins.

I have always found these pins a pain to dissolve, usually takes a couple weeks...at least in my case.
Yes, I put them on low heat for a few hours as well. Would putting them in a coffee grinder to bang them up would help or just be an extra step?

Back