Sulfuric acid (food grade or alternative) for blueberry plants

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never eat your berries.....

Just get some low PH mineral, as gravel or smaller fraction, and mix in to the soil. A low pH level soil is low level due to the minerals in the soil. Then you have a long life solution.

Add more peat to your soil mixture. It’s usually much cheaper than soil so add a lot. You can also buy aluminum sulphate at most garden centres or find something they are selling to change the colour of hydrangeas to blue.

Ok, I'll mention a few things. I have to water my potted blueberry plants with tap water (no I can't save rainwater) everyday during summer. Ammonium sulfate (1/2tsp per gallon every 2 weeks, no need to use more than that) is not enough to acidify the soil. Elemental sulfur is slow and you have to guess how much to put... Very slow. I know some people use vinegar, but I hadn't good success, and it doesn't neutralize the bicarbonates.

I've diluted battery acid in the past to safe concentration like the ph down they sell at pet stores, so yes, I would gather use that.
It sounds logical that battery acid is clean acid and water. To top up a battery with water, you would use de ionized water. Then the acid needs to be the same grade.

Sulfuric acid can be beneficial for blueberry plants when used cautiously. It helps in lowering soil pH, which blueberries love. However, be super careful with the concentration and application—it's potent stuff. Always dilute properly and follow recommended guidelines.

I find it laughable that one could say the phrase "battery acid is okay", i have no more words.

I find it laughable that one could say the phrase "battery acid is okay", i have no more words.
Well one should never take the acid out of batteries and use it in a way that discharge it into nature.
But weak 30-40% Sulfuric acid is considered battery acid even when not used,
and then it can be used to specific tasks in gardening as can weak Nitric.

As long as it hasn't been used in a battery or in any kind of metal processing. Other than cleaning iron, as that would only produce nontoxic ironsulfate.
Dilute Sulfuric acid just helps neutralize any alkali in the soil. The Sulfur in it will bond with the Sodium and release the Calcium. The same affect is achieved by using Gypsum as a soil amendment.

I mean, by calling it battery acid idiots will definetly use battery acid on the soil.

I mean, by calling it battery acid idiots will definetly use battery acid on the soil.
You buy it as batteri acid in big cansup to at least 25L
Heavy stuff but this is 30-40%
Maybe one can buy hydroponic acids that is weaker/cheaper?
Not relevant for us though.
We can't change its name as far as I know.

I'd just name it 40% sulfuric, i'm pretty sure some will drill and take it from batteries and plague everything with lead.

Sulfuric acid can be beneficial for blueberry plants when used cautiously. It helps in lowering soil pH, which blueberries love. However, be super careful with the concentration and application—it's potent stuff. Always dilute properly and follow recommended guidelines.

If you're into more natural alternatives, organic powdered milk can work wonders too. It's a gentle way to adjust pH levels without the intensity of sulfuric acid. Plus, it adds nutrients to the soil as it breaks down. It might take longer to see effects, but it's a more organic approach for those aiming for a gentler touch on their plants.

If you're into more natural alternatives, organic powdered milk can work wonders too. It's a gentle way to adjust pH levels without the intensity of sulfuric acid. Plus, it adds nutrients to the soil as it breaks down. It might take longer to see effects, but it's a more organic approach for those aiming for a gentler touch on their plants.
Welcome to us, I did not greet you on your first post.
Sorry about that.

Here is for your studies:

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

Back to the original question from 1sep1969, from child to late teens I worked on farms. Once I retired from the military, I lived with farmers as friends and neighbors. Frugal bunch, farmers. Never spending a penny more for anything than absolutely necessary.

I noted than the primary soil amendment for the many thousands of blueberries grown in western Oregon, where I spent almost 50 years, was wood chips and sawdust from fir trees. In eastern North Carolina, the preference is pine.

The common theme is using waste products from conifers to slightly acidify the soil for blueberries, and several other crops. Other nutrients are leached slowly to the soil, further reducing any need for chemical soil amendments.

Another benefit to this method is the reduction of damage to beneficial insects, worms, microbes, etc., plus providing nutrients for same.

All things considered, every farmer I know avoids the costs of chemicals when a good alternative is available. Something to consider.

Time for more coffee.

Back