Sulphuric cell.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What were you deplating and how long did you leave it in the cell to deplate the material? I don't think the concentration of the acid is what caused your copper build up.

Yes, but the low concentration won't help. I am sure the advice already given is right, that the current was limited to too high a value.

The material I have accumulated is a pile of gold plated Bluetooth stub antennas. The plastic covers rip right off the nut; the steel antenna wire pulls out with pliers. I was only able to deplate about a dozen before my adjustable 40V 5A power supply spat the dummy. I built it 25 years ago from scratch using a magazine design and it has been brilliant until Sunday.

Each test set of 3 was in probably < 5 mins. I was expecting < 10 mins. Some still look like they should run a little longer. I left each set in until they looked like the gold plating was gone or until the current dropped off significantly, however the latter may have been caused by the power supply starting to fail. I really don't know. No more cell work for me until I dig up a 30 year old circuit diagram for an ETI163.

Here is the company I use to buy my copper mesh. They also carry a lot of other hard to find items.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Just type in "copper mesh" in their search box and you'll find what you need.

You can purchase a piece as small as 12"x12" or as large as you want.

Regards,

Mike

The moderators would like to thank all of the members that contributed to the original thread upon which this thread was based, as well as those that asked questions showing what was missing. Because of the extra length and interest in this thread we have created the above consolidated version making for an easier read. We encourage all members to read, comment, and ask questions in the original thread, Sulphuric cell

The Library threads should not be considered to constitute a complete education. Instead, they're more like reading a single book on the subject of recovery and refining. There is so much more information on the forum, and it is impossible to include it all in these condensed threads. Members are strongly encouraged to read the rest of the forum to round out their education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back