Tantalum Capacitor Scrap Purchasing -- International

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's pretty close to the same. I've been buying tantalum as well and the price is pretty consistent. If anything, it's underperformed in the current market.

It's pretty close to the same. I've been buying tantalum as well and the price is pretty consistent. If anything, it's underperformed in the current market.
Per the bold print - that good to know as I do have "some" --- it's been a while since I looked so not sure how much - might need to look & see if it's worth sending to you - most of it's the Ag/Ta caps --- "maybe" a couple pounds

Kurt

Omgosh I did not know there were that many different tantalum capacitors. Still lots to learn I’ve noticed. I thought only the yellow blocks were the tantalum holding capacitors. Im have to get a bigger shed dividing them in different containers haha. About 40lbs now on the yellow blocks and some red and black ones. But all the pcb boards i still have laying around im will check for the other types aswell ( fifth time the same boards go through my hands checking for more hahaha).

Per the bold print - that good to know as I do have "some" --- it's been a while since I looked so not sure how much - might need to look & see if it's worth sending to you - most of it's the Ag/Ta caps --- "maybe" a couple pounds

Kurt
I found some Sprague capacitors which have a number that starts with TE. Is that 'tantalum electrolytic'?

Got others from other companies that are similar in construction, but their numbering is very different. Some from Ducati, some from Nichicon.

I found some Sprague capacitors which have a number that starts with TE. Is that 'tantalum electrolytic'?

Got others from other companies that are similar in construction, but their numbering is very different. Some from Ducati, some from Nichicon.
It is clearly distinguished from Al electrolytic cap simply by weight. Place one electrolyte and suspected Ta cap side by side and you will literally feel the difference.
Crack one open to see the material of the casing. These, I doubt it´s pure silver, but you may be lucky. KEMET-type metal casing Ta caps are usually brass. But nice chunky Ta piece inside.

Mainly old Ta or Ag/Ta caps came in various different sizes and shapes. There are lot of plastic ones as well, not only metal casing ones (old types, not SMD). But it is simple to distinguish them from anything else - by weight or cracking one open. Plastic ones has inner Ag-coated cavity with acidic electrolyte. Ta piece is usually bit crumbly - and heavy.

Old types could be literally a silver-mine, mainly from Soviet countries. Like TESLA, which are most common here. Ag content is 60+% on these (cut without legs). Whole casing is 99,9% pure silver. If you can cut them open easily and quickly, you do not need to refine the metal :D

TE156-10uF50V.jpg

TE196-22uF-V-40V.jpg

It is clearly distinguished from Al electrolytic cap simply by weight. Place one electrolyte and suspected Ta cap side by side and you will literally feel the difference.
Crack one open to see the material of the casing. These, I doubt it´s pure silver, but you may be lucky. KEMET-type metal casing Ta caps are usually brass. But nice chunky Ta piece inside.

Mainly old Ta or Ag/Ta caps came in various different sizes and shapes. There are lot of plastic ones as well, not only metal casing ones (old types, not SMD). But it is simple to distinguish them from anything else - by weight or cracking one open. Plastic ones has innr Ag-coated cavity with acidic electrolyte. Ta piece is usually bit crumbly - and heavy.

Old types could be literally a silver-mine, mainly from Soviet countries. Like TESLA, which are most common here. Ag content is 60+% on these (cut without legs). Whole casing is 99,9% pure silver. If you can cut them open easily and quickly, you do not need to refine the metal :D
I'm not going to find much Soviet-era material here in the USA!

It's tricky with some of these old 'silvery' looking ones. Some have a thick casing, others have a solid slug of aluminum inside for the electrode, which makes them feel heavier that typical aluminum ones.

There are also 'wet electrolyte' types which the company in this topic posted pictures of. They actually have tantalum foil inside, and are much lighter than other types. I had tossed a bunch of them into my aluminum capacitor bin (I melt them in a simple wood-fire/cast iron tube set up I use for dirty aluminum which works well to recover rought 40% of the weight of aluminum from them), then saw the EXACT TYPE in the pictures the company posted here and had to sort through the whole container to find them!

Maybe the best bet is to toss the handful of questionable ones I have into HCl and see which have casings that react. One of each type will be enough. Then I'll know for sure.

I have some tiny cylindrical ones (about 1 cm long) with a red plastic seal in one end. They have magnetic leads, non-magnetic metal casings which I scratched a bit and revealed brass under the surface plating, and are pretty dense for their size. Tantalums?

Starting from the Left Corner ---

Capacitor 1 -- Hermetic / Axial /Radial Tantalum Capacitor
Capacitor 2 -- Tantalum Wet Capacitors -- Tantalum Cased Tantalum Capacitor (As you can see there is a RIVET on the top of the capacitor
Capacitor 3 -- Hermetic / Axial / Radial Tantalum Capacitor
Capacitor 4 -- Leaded / Tantalum Capacitor - We consider these in the same category as Tantalum SMD
Capacitor 5 -- Epoxy / Ceramic / Dipped Tantalum Capacitor
Capacitor 6 -- Epoxy / Ceramic / Dipped Tantalum Capacitor
Capacitor 7 -- Epoxy / Ceramic / Dipped Tantalum Capacitor
Capacitor 8 -- Epoxy / Ceramic / Dipped Tantalum Capacitor
Capacitor 9 -- Epoxy / Ceramic / Dipped Tantalum Capacitor
Capacitor 10 -- Leaded / Tantalum Capacitor -- We consider these in the same category as Tantalum SMD
Capacitor 11 -- Leaded / Tantalum Capacitor -- We consider these in the same category as Tantalum SMD
Capacitor 12 -- Tantalum SMD (Surface Mount Capacitor)
Capacitor 13 -- Tantalum SMD (Surface Mount Capacitor )
Capacitor 14 -- Tantalum SMD (Surface Mount Capacitor )

Tantalum Recycling Corp
1701 NW 93rd Avenue
Doral, Florida 33172 USA
T: 800.805.9150
E: [email protected]
W: www.tantalumrecycling.com
I have a number of different types of Capacitors I need a bit of help identifying plz. After saying keep/don't keep or Yay/Nay, can you call out what type the caps are in the picture plz? I.E. Axial, Radial, SMD, etc. TIA. This'll definitely help me when harvesting to distinguish whether I'm wasting my time and effort or not.

Attachments

• 20221107_175013[1].jpg
    20221107_175013[1].jpg
    936.1 KB · Views: 2
Starting from the Left Corner ---

Capacitor 1 -- Hermetic / Axial /Radial Tantalum Capacitor
Capacitor 2 -- Tantalum Wet Capacitors -- Tantalum Cased Tantalum Capacitor (As you can see there is a RIVET on the top of the capacitor
Capacitor 3 -- Hermetic / Axial / Radial Tantalum Capacitor
Capacitor 4 -- Leaded / Tantalum Capacitor - We consider these in the same category as Tantalum SMD
Capacitor 5 -- Epoxy / Ceramic / Dipped Tantalum Capacitor
Capacitor 6 -- Epoxy / Ceramic / Dipped Tantalum Capacitor
Capacitor 7 -- Epoxy / Ceramic / Dipped Tantalum Capacitor
Capacitor 8 -- Epoxy / Ceramic / Dipped Tantalum Capacitor
Capacitor 9 -- Epoxy / Ceramic / Dipped Tantalum Capacitor
Capacitor 10 -- Leaded / Tantalum Capacitor -- We consider these in the same category as Tantalum SMD
Capacitor 11 -- Leaded / Tantalum Capacitor -- We consider these in the same category as Tantalum SMD
Capacitor 12 -- Tantalum SMD (Surface Mount Capacitor)
Capacitor 13 -- Tantalum SMD (Surface Mount Capacitor )
Capacitor 14 -- Tantalum SMD (Surface Mount Capacitor )

Tantalum Recycling Corp
1701 NW 93rd Avenue
Doral, Florida 33172 USA
T: 800.805.9150
E: [email protected]
W: www.tantalumrecycling.com
I hope I'm not stepping on your toes by creating this image but it helps me out better if we have one picture to reference off of. Also, added numbers to the corresponding caps. I hope this image helps others.

Attachments

• Tantalum List with Image.jpg
    Tantalum List with Image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 1
We buy Tantalum Capacitors Scraps of any variety and any qty. And pay good price from all over the world.
Example: Tantalum SMD (Yellow & Black), Hermetic Capacitors, Epoxy type, Ta Cased capacitors, Cut wire pins, Powders, Process rejects including Lead Frames, Sheet cuttings, Turnings etc. Send photos with quantity readily available for our best offer to: [email protected] or [email protected] or whatsapp: +91-97034-26777

Back