Thank You for Being Here! Hope You are Patient with Newcomers!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldTractorHag

Hello! I am new to this forum! And, although I have been fascinated with prospecting for a decade, I have learned all that I know from books and videos, with no one to tell me whether I am doing anything right. So, I have millions of questions!

I live in Northern California, in Shasta County. This is not quite the heart of California's gold country, but it's close. The county is full of old mines, and huge tailings piles. I find a lot of stuff that looks great to me! But, that is as far as it ever goes. I don't know how to confirm my finds, and I have had no one to ask. I tried the groups on FB, but I swear, you could post a photo of a freshly minted, Canadian Maple Leaf Coin, and they would scoff, and call it Pyrite. It is not only that that put me off of those groups, though. It was that no one would ever explain WHY they identified a given rock, the way they did. How can a person learn, if the analysis remains undisclosed? Ugh.

I hope to find a different climate here! Is it permissible to post photos for ID? If so, where?

Thank you so very much!

The
OldTractorHag

Welcome here. We definitely know the difference between pyrite and Au. However, we may only be skeptical due to a certain faction who have mastered fakery. We will be able to help with authenticating it's purity, and wholeness. Some FB drama occasionally here, just be a gentleman, and be polite in your comments, and any advise you have to offer. Good luck with your endeavors. Also, this is a world wide forum , so please read all rules.

Hello! I am new to this forum! And, although I have been fascinated with prospecting for a decade, I have learned all that I know from books and videos, with no one to tell me whether I am doing anything right. So, I have millions of questions!

I live in Northern California, in Shasta County. This is not quite the heart of California's gold country, but it's close. The county is full of old mines, and huge tailings piles. I find a lot of stuff that looks great to me! But, that is as far as it ever goes. I don't know how to confirm my finds, and I have had no one to ask. I tried the groups on FB, but I swear, you could post a photo of a freshly minted, Canadian Maple Leaf Coin, and they would scoff, and call it Pyrite. It is not only that that put me off of those groups, though. It was that no one would ever explain WHY they identified a given rock, the way they did. How can a person learn, if the analysis remains undisclosed? Ugh.

I hope to find a different climate here! Is it permissible to post photos for ID? If so, where?

Thank you so very much!

The
OldTractorHag
Welcome.
Most things in here needs studying.
So we recommend all newcomers and others too. to study C.M. Hokes book on precious metal refining.
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19798Then the safety section of the forum to end up in the section for waste treatment.

There is a massive amount of information in here so the second most important function is to get acquainted with the search button.
We don't have the energy or time to spoon feed people so learn to get around, of course ask questions if something seems odd, out of place or you just want to know.
When you have finished Hokes book and the recommended sections you will be ready to ask well founded questions, if/when you need to ;)

Latest posts

Back