Thank you

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstott

Hello and thank you for allowing me to be a part of this group. I'm not to this but I work for an electroplating company, and I have been researching ways to more accurately determine the concentration of gold in our solutions as well as exploring the possibility of recovering this metal ourselves. I'm currently reading as much as I can find on the use of zinc powder but I'm not sure what direction we will end up trying but again, I appreciate the add and any help going forward. Be safe and thank you again.

Welcome to the forum.

Zinc is one method. You should find a fair bit of information. Another is activated carbon. The gold will attach to the carbon. Some can then be stripped from the carbon, and the carbon reused. Eventually the carbon needs to be ashed to recover all the gold. A third method is using specialized resins that will remove the gold from solution.

I've never used any of these methods, so that's about all I can tell you, but it will give you a couple more methods to study.

Dave

Hello and thank you for allowing me to be a part of this group. I'm not to this but I work for an electroplating company, and I have been researching ways to more accurately determine the concentration of gold in our solutions as well as exploring the possibility of recovering this metal ourselves. I'm currently reading as much as I can find on the use of zinc powder but I'm not sure what direction we will end up trying but again, I appreciate the add and any help going forward. Be safe and thank you again.
Welcome.
I guess your solutions are CN based?
That kind of reduces the precipitation options, since most of our precipitants are acidic.
Cementing on either Zinc and Copper will do it.
I believe Zinc is the most commonly used cementer for CN solutions.

Anyway, here is some study material:

1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Forum rules : https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/post-327766

Edit to add:

Dave beat me to it.

Back