Thoughts on this???

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If inquiring about analysis for Au/Ag only, a $50 fire assay will do. A 22 element ICP will run in the $150 - $160- per sample analysis. This forum does not do assay by picture work, despite the most capable minds available here.

Crush up a sample as fine as possible and subject it to acid tests. Dissolve a small amount (a few grams) in aqua regia (outdoors upwind) and test with a stannous chloride solution. It is a test that will serve you well once mastered. I believe Hoke, in her book devotes some time to testing. A good read and, here at the forum, you can't beat the price.

There is a sticky at the top of the prospecting section of this forum that describes in detail how to field test small samples of rocks/ores for all kinds of metals and minerals.

As 4metals stated a small test tube of finely crushed ore, dissolved in AR and tested with stannous will quickly tell you if there is any gold there.

Edit, mostly what I see is iron stained quartz in the pics.

Just spit-balling here......Indiana makes me think limestone and calcite. Yellow staining from decomposition of pyrite or other sulfides, dark black adamantine luster looks like high iron sphalerite.

I may be completely off-base (again). Can you scratch the grey rock with steel? If so, put a few drops of muratic on the scratch and look for bubbles.

It seems to definitely be the kind of quartz you would see bearing gold but from a distance it looks too crystallized to be gold. Just a wild observation. Don't know but it sure looks purty.

Crush up a sample as fine as possible and subject it to acid tests. Dissolve a small amount (a few grams) in aqua regia (outdoors upwind) and test with a stannous chloride solution. It is a test that will serve you well once mastered. I believe Hoke, in her book devotes some time to testing. A good read and, here at the forum, you can't beat the price.
I agree. I take a sample drop it in acid. Good find. I hope you found gold.

Back