Time for a new contest!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Striker33 said:
... I wish you would have given us a picture of a button to guess on because then I could use an equation to help me get the final volume!
I did say I like to make things difficult sometimes. But actually the jeweler wanted the gold returned as shot so it would be easier to alloy and cast however they desired. That part wasn't just me making it unnecessarily difficult.

Nonetheless, Striker33, with the highest weighted average guess of 28g, you are the winner! If you'll PM me an address, I'll get the silver out to you next week.

The weight was 36.71 grams. Auful came awfully close to this amount with the second guess of 36.99g, and also awfully close to Striker's final value with 27.50g.

Yes, more than 50% of the weight of the starting material. I was surprised. There were quite a few tiny flecks of visible metallic gold distributed throughout that didn't show up in the picture. Still, I was surprised at the yield. Keep an eye out for such material at dentists' estate sales!

It was great to see people involved here, especially members helping members. May we all strive to do so in daily life where it matters vastly more than an ounce of silver!

Thanks GRF!
- Matt

Yes! I am so happy to take the W and the silver. I spent more time than I should have trying to figure out this final weight.

The most difficult part for me was trying to get a sense of depth on the pile of gold. I tried estimating the depth of the pile with a free trial of photoshop, but that didn’t work. However photoshop did allow me to isolate the perimeter and it calculated an area of about 10.5cm^2. Then, all I had to do was estimate the average height and rough density as far as the volume packing. I also flattened my 1ozt button into a rough round about the dimensions of a maple leaf and my gut was telling me this was going to be a lot. So I went with the highest guess.

Overall that is an incredible yield. I figured if it was worth making a contest about and the dentist seemed to have known exactly what he was collecting in the bag, then it would be a nice percentage. A google search told me average gold dental scrap runs ~40%, so that helped, but I was on the edge of my seat haha. Thanks MGH for responding to questions so quickly, sticking to your dates and running a nice organized competition!

So my winning guess wasn't the WINNING number :cry:

CONGRATULATIONS Striker33 :G --- your the man 8) :mrgreen:

In all the years I spent refining it has always surprised me in "guessing" how much a final melted down button/bar is going to weigh by just looking at a pile of gold with a large surface area

Sometimes I "guess" it close - other times my "guess" is way off by more or less what I "think"

Anyway - that is how I "guessed" --- I tried to picture in my mind the large surface area of the shot to a melted button :cry:

MGH --- NICE yield :shock: 8) --- THANKS for the contest - it really was interesting (as they always are) :D

Maybe - I will be the winner of the next one :wink: :mrgreen:

Kurt

jmdlcar said:
A picture of the gold on a scale would have been nice.

That way we all would have known.
So everyone knows, the weight I posted was the weight of the refined gold, period. I do not have a picture of the gold on a scale. Nor do I have any reason to invent ways to give away an ounce of silver to a stranger of my choosing :(

Not wanting to assume anything, I PM'ed jmdlcar to ask if the above comment was a joke about making the contest easier, or if he was implying that I was not being truthful about the yield and contest results. His reply, very short, indicates that it was not a joke.

jmdlcar,
Again, I take offense at my integrity being called into question on the open forum - especially without any prior correspondence. It seems you may be frustrated by this contest in general, but calling my character into question is inexcusable.

To everyone else, again,
Thanks for the participation. I'm glad you enjoyed the contest.

Back