Tin process, check my method/math please

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser613

I've been hoarding circuit boards for some time now, I don't want to refine any precious metals myself, unless I can't sell it for a satisfactory price as is to a primary escrap buyer like BoardSort, a big part of my hoard is "low-grade" boards, that aren't bought at a price that justifies shipping to a buyer, but the ic chips, exotic metal capacitors, ect. Are. Which means desoldering. To avoid diversifying my inventory any further until I'm ready I haven't done any desoldering yet, and have put a lot of thought into into how to handle this stage, to reduce frustration and improve efficiency

The problems I see with heat based desoldering is "smearing" of solder onto components, with small components like mlccs stuck together into booger like granules, as well as not recovering any of the solder, at least not in an easy way. That's significant to me, it may not be a precious metal but tin is the costliest BASE metal, and is a much bigger portion of this material by weight than any precious metal, potentially making tin the largest contributor to value, plus I like it for the fact I can melt significant quantities with a hot plate for casting. In addition all the associated risks with fumes from burning board material with your heat source, I don't want to breath that, and I don't want the neighbors complain either.

Where I've landed with all this is a drafted process to chemically desoldering the boards, and then electrolytically reclaim the tin from the desoldering solution, i still have some uncertainties about this process, and was hoping the community here could answer some questions for me.

The following is the proposed process step by step with my associated questions regarding each stage.

0. At this time I'm only planning this process for boards which are predominantly thruhole mounted where all solder joints are accessible from one side that has little to no components on that side, from observation the "solder side" frequently has very small mlccs which will need to be dealt with later, smd components I think would be easier to remove with hot air, but I'll test it out at some point.

1. Prepare boards by removing any iron, aluminum, or other base metals below tin on the galvanic scale( I think fe and Al are the only ones which would be present in this material) particularly in the "contact zone"

2. Set boards "solder-side" down in a tray with hcl that does not crest above the boards top surface, I want them sitting in it, not immersed. Let them sit till components desoldering.

So, as I understand it, the tin should go into solution as tin(II)Chloride, while the lead will form it's insoluble chloride and remain as a solid in bottom of tray(along with any silver chloride, or antimony) and no copper should go into solution until the tin is depleted, also my math tells me that the hcl should be able to digest
487g of tin OR 875g of lead per liter, this was calculated by finding the Cl content per liter by weight and then calculated the Cl content by weight of sncl2 and pbcl2 so if sn and pb are present in a 50/50 alloy (common comp. For leaded solder) a liter of acid should digest half of each figure? I also suspect that the lead may wind up on the tray floor as metallic powder, similar to anode slime, as lead reacts more slowly than tin? That's fine by me it just means my acid is going to convert tin more efficiently by not donating cl to turn an insoluble metal to an insoluble salt

3. Pour pregnant solution into vacuum filter or settling vessel, whatever proves easier, rinsing off board and tray into filter

This is another point of uncertainty, if diluting sncl2 solutions forms insoluble tin hydroxychloride which I can find very little information on, so id rather avoid it's formation altogether, so I have to rinse with hcl ? What concentration is sufficient to prevent the dissasociation of sncl2?

3.place filtered sncl2 solution in electrolytic cell to reduce tin to metal form, ready to be rinsed and melted, likely at fairly high purity,

The only accounts of sncl2 electrolysis I've seen were aimed at producing visually appealing crystals and were operated at low concentrations, would producing "compact" cathode deposit be acheivable at or near saturation as in copper cells?

Handling the lead chloride heavy solids fraction is another bag of snakes, I'm too tired to think about it right now.

I look forward to your responses, and producing some high purity tin

I'm doubtful it would work on any kind of serious production type volume - I tried it once with whole motherboards - doesn't work, the types of plastics involved are just too diverse, some connectors dissolved (even w/o heat) or turned to goo, also MLCCs get destroyed and wet chemical desoldering badly handles BGA type chips, it just turned perfectly good, tradeable MB's in to an incredible mess... didn't even try to electrowin tin out of the solution, kissed that idea good-bye

I suspect you'd run in to similar problems, only worthwhile advice I can give you is to remove any aluminum from boards beforehand. And post results if you do go ahead ;)

I'm not trying to use this for motherboards, or anything other than low grade thru hole only, or at least mostly, boards

read OP

I'm also trying to minimize contact with acid to only the "solder side" and remove all iron aluminum and anything else that would drop tin or react before it,

Again read OP

Anyway,

I'm now thinking about the insoluble portion ,
The antimony, it shouldn't react with hcl, in the absence of oxygen, so in a thin puddle of acid with high surface area, should I expect some antimony going into solution? And if so what salt would that make, if it's antimony trichloride that's going to be a big problem, because when I electrolize the solution if antimony trichloride is present it will form an EXPLOSIVE allatrope

I should be able to seperate lead and silver chloride by repeated washings with boiling water? But if lead represents the majority of theinsoluble chlorides would it be practical to seperate silver in this way?

The trouble with theoretic chemistry and real life is the two sometimes don’t match.
By having a large surface area with the HCl it will take in oxygen and so dissolve various metals, an instance of this which we take advantage of is AP which is HCl to which we add either a very small amount of hydrogen peroxide or a simple air bubbler which will dissolve copper and if too much peroxide is added even gold.

Once I finish tearing down all the devices piled up here I guess I'm going to document a small test run with this method, Im looking into leasing some storage space so I can clear out my workshop and start furnishing it to conduct the next step in processing , can't work in clutter, at least not safely

Back