Tin solder for stannous

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read in forum using tin solder (95% tin). How much solder to HCL ratio? Steve mentions about 1-2 grams (tin Powder) to 20 mL of HCl.

The idea is to make sure your stannous is saturated,or close to saturated.So if you want to use a little extra tin that is fine.But remember if you boil your stannous too long you'll make it supersaturated and it will precipitate out when it cools.......not good.If this happens just cool in the shade,NOT IN THE FRIDGE and pour off your clean stannous,or just make sure you take it off the heat when you add your tin(solder).As a side note you can get 97+% solder at walmart for a couple of dollars just in case you run out or have a hard time locating it.
Johnny
P.S.Always make sure you test any new stannous on a positive AU sample or you may end up throwing away a lot of gold. :wink:

Sometimes a get a yellow color when I test for gold with stannous. Does that mean there is a small amount of gold or not?

Sometimes a get a yellow color when I test for gold with stannous. Does that mean there is a small amount of gold or not?

I'm not real sure what a yellow color could mean. A guess would be that there is too much chlorine still in the solution being tested and is keeping the gold in solution. Try another drop or two of stannous solution. This is just a guess. Someone else probably has the answer. in the meantime, here's a copied and pasted quote from another post that might help. From : http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=562

SnCl2= Stannous Chloride= Used to test solutions for precious metals. Made by dissolving metallic tin in hot muriatic acid. Loses strength when stored. Made by adding 1-2 grams of powdered tin to 30 mL of HCl. Heat until fizzing starts. A little extra undissolved tin powder helps the solution keep for longer. Keep air out of container when stored to extend life.
Positive color test as follows:

Purple/Black color is Gold in solution, the darker the spot the more Gold.

Yellow/Brown that turns to Blue-Green after 30 seconds indicates Palladium in solution, the darker the spot the more Palladium.

Orange/Brown color is Platinum in solution, the darker the spot the more Platinum.

Cut off 2 in's flated then put in about 4oz HCI good to go....There will be little black stuff in there but it go away in time.....To keep just add a 1/4 " every week.....any ? just PM me

Good Luck

Back